1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Anyone interested in screw finishing caps?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kimandsally, 12 Jul 2005.

1. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

Here's a picture of what they might look like http://server3.uploadit.org/files/kimandsally-FinishingCaps.jpg :D I'm having some manufactured for me I was wondering if there would be any interest from other people so that I could reduce the cost per part, they could be made in all the colours shown. They will be fantastic on cd drives etc.

I have looked through the rules and cannot find anything so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong here if I am could someone please let me know so that I can sort it out, the last thing I want is to upset anyone.

Thanks

PS if you could let me know if anyone is interested and the quantities you want then I could get a costing, nothing at all will be binding I will not order anything unless you specifically ask. :D

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm...

What size would they be in? Going by the pic and what you said, I'm assuming M3-thread on a socket-cap screw.... that right? And would you ship to the States?

3. kimandsally

Hi yes they would be m3 for the cd dvd drives and floppy drives. I would certainly ship to the states I will ship anywhere if they are asked for, obviously I need to do the pricing up but certainly the larger the order the cheaper I will be able to sell them.

Thanks for you interest please just ask if you need any more info.

4. Firehed

Depending on the price I'd definately be interested (probably in silver colored ones, unless you can get black done, in which case I may go for both).

5. kimandsally

Hi there I have asked for some to be made for me and they should be here this week, I have ordered them in Red, Silver is definately a colour that I can get, the minimum I can order is 20 caps, hopefully more people would order again reducing costs, for 20 the cost would be £10 sterling plus postage which I think is £2.20 sterling plus a jiffy bag which is about 40 pence, I would definately need to make sure that the postage cost is correct as at looks very cheap.

So if everything is priced correctly and I would confirm for you when I get the first caps in would be a total of £12.60 sterling including postage and all costs, I have not included insurance as for such a small amount it is too expensive.

I will post back on here when mine arrive.

Cheers.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

But dude, you can just buy these at QuickUK (under: General Parts/Fasteners; second item on page)...

7. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

errr. and cheaper.

are yours significantly different? looks like you used their pic as a rough guide

8. kimandsally

Actually something's not adding up, that is the picture I was supplied and the colours are the same as what's been offered, looks like I'm being suckered here. Thanks for pointing it out, the guy I wanted to buy from was wanting me to place an order for 1000 and still charge me a lot more than from quick sells @ the 20 piece price. Theres no wonder why he didn't want me to go to his premises.

So looks like I'll be getting some from Quick now and saving some money so he can **** himself.

9. Firehed

yeah, he even sent you their picture....

shame... bet it's almost impossible to find them in M3 in the states.

10. kimandsally

Hi recieved them today and had a word with the chap, they have come from Quick UK. I'm going to try to find a dealer in the states for you I'll post back on here. The chap who I got them from is a cheeky monkey he can't see that him telling me he was making them was wrong at all, some folks make me wonder it's a good job the people on this forum pointed me at it I was even thinking of selling them to a wider audience would have made me look a fool.

Here's a link I found hope this helps :)

http://www.ewtech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=hhi&Category_Code=Upgrade_Parts

11. kimandsally

Was that link any good mate? If not I can get some from Quick and post them to you if not, I'm not looking to make a profit you can have them at what they cost.

I find they are very nice I'm just waiting on some stainless screws comming.

12. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

i think i might go with a bag or two of the red ones.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2005
  13. kimandsally

Whereabouts in the world are you mate?

14. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

USA. but i think that site is in the us so i might be better if i order from them. unless i get better shipping from u

15. kimandsally

It should be cheaper from them as I would have to order from quick uk then post to the US Caps from quick UK £8.95 post from them to me £1.77 then post to US £2.60 total £13.32 sterling for 20 caps, I would think the postage would be the same for 40 as they weigh next to nothing.

If you have a problem I can order them for you then send them to the US but it would be cheaper I think to buy from there if you can.

Is the price the same in the US for the caps? PS should be getting my stainless cap screws tomorrow they should make it look tasty. :D

16. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

where can i find the screw to fit them?

17. Nexxo

Any M3 screw or equivalent will fit them. They make for a nice finish on HDD mounting:

[​IMG]

and on waterblock mounts:

[​IMG]

18. Cardan

Cardan What's a Dremel?

is M3 a metric size? and if so what would be the same in the Us?

19. Nexxo

No idea, but 3mm is 0.12" (or 1.89/16"), so I guess that is the screw size you are looking at.

20. Firehed

well hard drives use a 6-32 thread, depends how big the opening is. #6 is 5/32" IIRC, which if that's right is a shade under 4mm. It could be bored out probably if it's not big enough. Opticals all use M3 thread though.

Thanks for the link btw. Looks good, I've just been a bit busy so haven't checked it out too much. Going to Virginia for two weeks on thursday so I've had to get ready (no modding time either :()