1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple goes Pro with 13in MacBook, updates 15in MBP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

GZ, Apple, you tacked 'pro' onto the old 'home' line and upped the price :#1:

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Still way overpriced. But we're used to that, aren't we?

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

So in essence the just renamed the new "Macbook" to "Macbook Pro 13in"

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The base model macbook (now pro) is actually a decent bargain... better screen now if you read other sites / FW800 / SD slot / and the new kb lighting / battery tech for £899.

That seems like a good deal compared to the previous macbook 13" aluminium model to be honest. I dont remember the alu models of the macbook being that cheap.

If you want to look at price disparity to the US.. then yeah sure.. we get stiffed as usual.. but not as much as on the iMac line. Ouch! At nearly 1.60 to the pound, those new iMacs are seriously overpriced.

6. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

13 inch macbook looks to be a bargain, i'm sorely tempted....snow loepard looks really good aswell, bout time i gave osx a go

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Amusing how people try to find the negatives with Apple's hardware offerings - they are pricey (this one less so), until you have tried the software don't knock it; windows pales in comparison.

8. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Or dual boot it as I do. I got a 15" Pro a few years ago, replaced the 120HD with a 320 HD and with Boot Camp (free) I can hardware boot to either OSX or XP (or Vista) just fine. Or with some of the virtual machine apps you can launch one environment from within the other however I prefer the hardware level access as I'm almost always just in one OS. However if you do run Windows on these regularly you'll want to get a mouse as right clicking with only one track pad button is a bit of a kludge IMO.

9. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

the base model white 13in macbook is not considered pro, it is still just a macbook. The aluminum 13in model is the 13in macbook pro.

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

no more expensive than sony's laptops. and these are actually built well.

11. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

For that price I could get a decent gaming laptop! Sure it might not get 7hours of battery life but if I just need a laptop for things other than games why would I not simply buy a nettop to start with...

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

God how I hate Apple, talk about one of the worst companies on this planet, and to think people give M$ a lot of crap.... Apply is like the Hitler of the computer industry everything and anything has to be their way and so on and to think for some reason they dont get attacked as a Monopoly ~_~ I guess when less then 6% of the world uses their products I suppose its not worth the time to go after them...

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i hereby invoke godwin's law. YOU LOSE AT THE INTERNET.

14. shomann

shomann Minimodder

As a self-proclaimed Apple fan (though not drooling), I have to say that Apple does have a higher price of entry. Much of the higher dollar sign comes from the fact that Apple offers very little in the way of customization - you get what they want you to get. Sure, there are much cheaper 13"and 15"notebooks out there, but very few are going to have all the features of a Macbook Pro (hate that they took the ExpressCard away from the 15" though - bad move). Of course the argument is that you don't need a backlit keyboard, unibody construction, Firewire 800, or a faster processor. Too bad, they come as part of the package and add up to the overall cost. However you may find yourself agreeing with their inclusion several months into ownership ;) .

See where I am going? You get what you pay for. I have used Apple products for the past 14 years and have very rarely seen them fail of their own accord (the 5300 series notebooks WERE pieces of crap through, I will give you that). There is also a sense of style and design at work, of course. In the end, I think that paying the "Apple Tax" is like buying a Subaru instead of a Ford. You pay more up front, but have good experiences with the thing for a much longer period of time.

EDIT: I decided to configure a system from Lenovo as closely as possible to that of the 15" Macbook Pro specs. A T500 which has the same processor, hard drive, RAM but with the ATI Radeon 3650/256MB and Vista Ultimate is $1452. So $250 more for backlit keyboard, possible better screen and the unibody.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2009
  15. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Apple haters make me laugh.

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's as always, too expensive.

i was hoping they'd release a 12inch Macbook "nano" with ultra-long battery life and unibody case. the only reasons one would consider Apple laptops over others is the strong unibody. (you can install OSX on other machines easily)

17. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Um, not easily, but yes it can be done. I have a vanilla Lenovo based off of the X3100 chipset and it was something of a pain to get everything working correctly.

18. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Actually, the newer 13" macbook pro is cheaper than the unibody macbook 13" it replaces.

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

After nVidia it is Apple now? :p

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

nah Apple has always been a ugh for me, they could be soooo much farther a long and take a much larger chunk of the OS market if they were just a bit less controlling, if they opened up the OS so that people could install it on custom built systems Im sure almost over nigh they would probably jump to like 30% or more of the market. It just erks me, one of the few companies I have met that makes you pay to make thier product better ~_~

nVidia is a bit more recent, about oh the last couple of years I have the erk for them but apple has been for many many years. =p

Tags: Add Tags