1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Assassin's Creed patch re-downloads entire 40GB game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Dec 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Scroome

Scroome Modder

That no face bug looks both hilarious and creepy.

3. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

I've not played the game, but does that bug affect all characters at the same time? It'd be great to see a city of quasi-invisible people just going about their daily lives.

Also, miriad should be myriad!

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Holy cr#p ! if I had this game it would take me about 4 days to download this update. I hope all those needing this update get the game completely fixed this time around.

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

yet another game needing a huge patch just to fix it.

Gone are the days of buying an actually completed game.... Gamers are now beta testers.

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This is why I try to ignore new releases (especially AAA) and live in my own 6 months behind bubble. That way when I come to check out my imaginary latest releases they are reasonably priced and actually work.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

This ^^^^ 6 months, are you mad :D Still playing Skyrim and I have a new sealed copy of Fallout 3 waiting to play, pre-ordering games and early adopters are welcome to the frustration and that feeling of being ripped off again by a company more concerned with money than quality.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2014
  8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Patch sizes are not because (for example) there's 6.7GB of updated content and fixes, but because 6.7GB of content has been touched in some way.

A few textures may have been changed and that could force an entire update of the on disc texture store. One tweaked sound could force every sound file to be downloaded again.

Some 'small' changes will always require a big download, for example a small map/level change that's a 30sec job for a developer will likely force the game engine to rebuild the entire lighting cache and path finding maps.

Move one tree and the entire map is re-generated from scratch.

A true byte by byte delta update could reduce update sizes but when so much game content is optimised at the point of development small changes can cascade through the project and change a LOT of data.

Don't confuse the size of the download file with the scope of the fixes. You cannot connect the two.

As to a 40GB 'patch'. I bet someone incremented a version number rather than a build number. It maybe got pushed as build 100 for version 1.1 rather than build 101 for version 1.

9. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Out of interest, I wonder, if you live in a household where a teenage child has this on xbone and you have signed up for the BT infinity deal where you only get 40GB of downloads, who is going to be responsible for the you eating up your allowance.
    After all, its not the bill payers fault that Ubisoft have made a mistake.

Apologising that you have to wait longer? Apologise that you've killed peoples downloads limits, you out of touch fool!

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you have kids old enough to be able to use an electronic device you'll never get away with having a limited connection.

11. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I only have a 50GB a month limit, but don't most ISP's allow d/loading overnight (between certain hours) and it doesn't affect your limit, my ISP allows this and that's the only way I can d/load a big game on the rare occasion I buy a AAA game or get a game bundled with a new GPU.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This makes Zenimax's multi-gigabyte patches, for Elder Scrolls Online, look like a model of compactness....

13. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

40GB game patches are silly

20gb limits is silly, you should be on ADSL if you want to cheap out and have unlimited (£16) due to not wanting to pay the extra £7 more on fiber and get unlimited on BT (what's the point of BT infinity 1 with 20GB cap that you can blow away within short time, and get charged £5 for every Upto 5GB)

sky do it for £20 so only £4 more (but you can start on there new £10 for 25GB and if you go over it twice they move you onto the £20 later on)

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Strangely enough, not everyone downloads much and why should people not have faster broadband, even though they only surf, they are not spending your money. No point in spending extra for a larger monthly limit, or no limit, if you only go over very rarely.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

problem is if you go over it costs more then been on unlimited

16. iggy

iggy Minimodder

Legally speaking, Ubisoft are required to make sure their product is fit for purchase, which it is not. In the UK anyway.