1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus agrees to publish full Eee PC source code

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

but we dont want the source code compiled :p

i didnt think it was intentional on asus' part and it seems it wasnt, but we will never know whether some companies 'play' at respecting the GPL or actually work with it. It would probably help to make their products better...

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

heh, yeah - "compiling the full source code" is a bit of a misleading turn of phrase!

4. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

If they bring out the 8GB version, then I'm there! (Well, work is, as they'll be paying for it ;))

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Interesting to know, but personally I care far more about the stock shortages than I do about the GPL stuff.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The good news is they'll have the gpl folks off their back and they'll (hopefully) continue to make the linux version even after the XP version comes out. My biggest worry with this wasn't the non compliance as such but that this and other companies would think that making linux based products was too much hassle and not bother.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Phew, I'm not the only one geeky enough to be confused by that one! :hehe:

Error: ";" Expected.

8. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I'm curious about something: is it possible to run the Eee PC Linux Distro on a regular PC? :blush:

EDIT: From the Eee site:

Cool... :)

9. steveo_mcg

From what i was reading earlier in the week, the interseting part of the eee pc isn't open source. The ASUSLauncher the part which isn't a KDE desktop seems to be proprietary, which is real shame i had some plans for that.

10. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

Icy EyeG: i dont know about the asus 'easy' mode, it seems to be IceWM with an interesting theme, but the distro is basically Xandros, which in turn is built off Debian.

I suppose you could install a version of linux with IceWM as the window manager and copy over the 'themey bits' from the EEE PC to see if it works, it would be interesting to do, but on a regular PC, but with the added real estate of a fairly high resolution monitor, a standard KDE or Gnome desktop would probably be easier, once shortcuts and the like had been set up.

The EEE PC platform will probably be QT or GTK+ programs with some extra bits to make it integrate into IceWM more easily. I hope it might be a little more than that. If it was done well enough, it could possibly inspire younger people to write a few programs and make some new open source contributions at the same time.

11. Icy EyeG

It does look lice IceWM, but I don't think that's the case...

EDIT: According to wikipedia is KDE.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2007
  12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm waiting for someone to actually do something useful with this code that's been so hotly demanded.

Linux really is much more about political pointmaking than practical computing.

Phil

13. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

@Phil

The useful thing that people will do straight away is to allow the use of the full hardware under other linux distributions. Further to this I imagine the next step would be to customise a more up to date distro like Ubuntu with Asus tweaks that make this system fast to boot plus add the Easy desktop mode to thise distro probably with an easy way to switch to a real desktop.

14. steveo_mcg

The reason it was so "hotly demanded" is because they broke the law. They broke the terms of the license which they published the software under, unlike big brother at Redmond this has be happly sorted out with out resorting to lawyers. Do you honestly believe if Asus sold this with an unlicensed copy of Vista this would have gone away so quickly. If you honestly beilve linux is more about political points then i invite you to try it. Sure it doesn't game so well but then thats hardly "practical computing" is it.

15. Icy EyeG

I'm a Windows (dependent) user and a casual Linux user (I use Xubuntu on VMware Player and on an old pc), but I do consider (nowadays) Linux as practical computing. Ubuntu 7.10 is a good example of it IMHO.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i also consider Linux as a a practical computing experience, especially the latest builds that run just as good as XP and look very nice.... and with synaptics i can get lots of software fast and easy, as long as i have nice repositories.

edit: it is nice of ASUS to publish the source code and not go to court or do something bad.

17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

ubuntu 7.10 is the worst Ver of ubuntu ever made stick with 7.04, never seen so many problems on the ubuntu forums as i keep up with each rels

if you do upgrade (back up \home as it probably will fail the upgrade) or planning on installing 7.10 make sure the network cable is unplugged so the set up does not fail (you need to turn the repositories back on after install as the setup turns them off)

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

It swings in roundabouts

Once you have installed 7.10 (with or without issues) a lot of the features seem very much improved
    But whatever, its still early days for 7.10 and 7.04 does what I want .....

19. steveo_mcg

You want things to never change, stick with the mother of most distros... Debian, specifically Debian stable: Etch. The last Stable release didn't change for a number of years.

20. Greenie

Greenie What's a Dremel?

the "easy" mode is IceWM, but it does run KDE if you want a full desktop, so i assume both are installed.

there is some good information here: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/eee-pc-review.ars

Tags: Add Tags