1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus ROG Claymore Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 14 Feb 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Yeah, nope.

No keyboard can justify a £200 price tag. I fail to see how adding keys that go 'click' make it more expensive than many of their higher end motherboards.

The name made me roll my eyes as well.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Whilst I like the idea of a 60% board with a separate number pad, I don't like it enough to drop £200 on it :D I wonder if they'd have done better to sell this as a 60% board and make the numpad available to buy separately? I'd think that the market for mechanical keyboard users who want a detachable numpad and are willing to spend £200 to get it must be fairly small...

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Have you tried typing for any length of time on one? They do genuinely make a difference to typing!

I've also been a skeptic of this in the past but one of the older computers at work has an original IBM model M (sadly splattered in solvents and inks over the years otherwise I'd totally "borrow" it) and it constantly surprises me with how much easier and faster it is to type on it!

The noise is a side-effect; the key movement action is the selling point...

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Finally, someone has made a mechanical version of the Microsoft Sidewinder X6. Best non-mech keyboard I ever used. Loved the swappable numpad.

But £200? You're have a laugh.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The want is strong on this one. But if I paid £200 for a keyboard I would have to kick my own ass.

Love the numpad idea. More keyboards should have that.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So £150 without the number pad, £200 with...

... aww hell no.

8. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

£200 whaaaaaaaat?

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I still have my Sidewinder X6 in my spares cupboard and will never get rid of it. I absolutely love that keyboard.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I still use mine (albeit on a system that doesn't get used as much any more...)

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Does it interact with games?

I bought a Corsair RGB mech keyboard just before Christmas and having just got back into Diablo 3 was surprised that it interacted with the keyboard. The keys for active skills lit up when available (when used the keys backlight would disable and would then light back up once the skills cooldown had expired), the colours on keyboard would cycle when you leveled up, etc...

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are people who spend that much on a PC Case which just sits there and provides no benefit over a £50 case beyond looking good.

The keyboard and mouse however are parts you touch for hours each day, so it really makes sense to invest in a keyboard and mouse you are really happy with even if that means paying a high premium.

That doesn't mean you should necessarily fork out £200 for this particular keyboard, but there is certainly a purpose to premium peripherals.

13. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Yeah, bought my X6 when they first came out and i'm STILL using it :)

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

This is the keyboard I've wanted for a while. I switch mouse between right and left hand frequently so always wanted to do the same with a number pad and it's now possible!

However, £200... nope.

15. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I was just thinking how they should add that to RGB keyboards, some interaction with applications/games. But there too you want a universal standard and there is none so far.

16. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

I can see how professional authors and such might want mechanical, but I am still wondering if it's worth it for gamers. And that's even without the huge (or even humongous) prize difference.

17. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I've always wondered why quality scissor switches were never the switch of choice for gamers, they respond faster, are much quieter/kinder for teamspeak use, and are much cheaper...easier to clean too!

I guess people want to spend lots of money on things as a statement, to reinforce their image, a conspicuous consumption type of thing? £200 for a keyboard with a movable numpad...it's not like you can't scoop a mech numpad for peanuts on certain websites. Oh well, not my money.

18. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

seriously ...200 quid for a keyboard ?

i'll just leave this here:
    motospeed ck104 RGB mechanical keyboard with red switches 40$ ..check the reviews, then please let me know if 200 pound prize for a keyboard is justified -.-

19. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Those keyboards use 'fake' cherry switches, that is to say a Chinese variety. Now normally that's fine but I heard a reviewer tell that unfortunately Chinese cherry types don't have a constant behavior across keys and individual keys might feel/respond slightly different. but that might not have been the same manufacturer though, although I believe it is.

Point is that you get 100+ cherry switches for another amount than you get Chinese copies for, and it's up to your sensitivity and trust and adeptness at ten finger typing (I assume any differences are mostly noticeable to those) as well as finances what you go for.

I for me expect I'd be fine with the motospeed, and would not pay 200 quid for a keyboard (which I invariably will hit in anger at some point too..).

Which brings us to the point where we ask bit-tech to do a comparison maybe and report their findings.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No choice of layout, wrong enter key shape (which makes finding fitting keycap set with UK layout even harder) not using Cherry switches, fixed Numpad, no dedicated media control buttons, less control over backlight, effectively zero warranty as not from a reliable brand.

No surprise the price is different, it is a completely different product.

Maybe try the Asus Strix Tactic Pro instead where you only lose the movable numpad and RGB but save half the price of the Claymore.

Tags: Add Tags