1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battle.net is effective anti-piracy tool

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Aug 2010.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

All wow Private servers first and foremost are poor resprensations of live games you cant raid on them ive played live and private ( private for the laughs of soloing raid zones with level 255 characters ) private is just so poor its not even funny all the bosses for example just stand there and beat you up use no abilities so you dont even see some fights the way they are ment to be done

messing around on private relms is fun for a laugh to see how crazy powered you can solo zones and free tier gear makes life a bit more fun.

Still totaly buggy

Starcraft 2 sold 1.5mil copies in 48hrs very few pc games have ever sold as well ( with the exeption of WOW itself)

If you make a great game people will buy it in there droves at any price point, £35 is really nothing in todays economy if you have a job its what your paying on lunch every week ( if you work in a city its what you pay every 2-3 days lol ) Price is a reason to pirate is a sad excuse

DRM in starcraft 2 is practically none existant

if you cant connect you can play it in offline mode. Ive unconnected my internet and played it offline to test this works fine even saves achievements which all update once you are reconected.

most people like the last pc game i brought ( battlefield bad company 2 ) will get 100s of hrs outta starcraft due to multiplayer and when you start to work it out £35 shared by 100 is 35 pence per hr

they have beaten piracy by releasing a great game i know people who have pirated it and went and brought it after they beat single player to play it online so didnt even get the single player outta it as they had already beaten it.

As for 3 diffrent games for the main races think i prefer it like that

Id take a bet now Diablo 3 will sell 1mil + copys in 48hrs of release. ( be easy money )

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

it plays fine in offline mode.

sure u might miss a couple achievements, but seriously, whats the big deal?

i can sympathized with folks dont want to be online during their whole gaming period. but people who cant even stand to the idea of online activation is really gonna be left behind in the PC gaming industry, IMHO...

....unless they're pirates, and that just nullified their whole arguments in this thread lol.

which btw, shouldnt be titled "battlenet is an effective antipiracy tool". it should be "great game quality is an effective antipiracy tool".

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's the problem, they've said. Not they've shown or done. I don't have anything particular for or against SC2/BNet since I haven't played or had first hand experience with either, but I've had plenty of experience with exaggerated claims not being backed up and developers/publishers hunting for money. Can't wait to continue the story since the first SC was very interesting, but won't make a single purchase until I see the next two sections released.

Actually, I do have one complaint. Blizzard has done a terrible job with www.starcraft2.com. Even though their own videos showed the existence of various units, and the beta very much confirmed them, the website had not been updated to reflect the available units. Haven't checked since release, but I'd be shocked if it's gotten any better. But that doesn't really matter. It's just miffed me a bit since I'm a Zerg fan and for the longest time only two units were on the site: Hydras and Mutas. Woo hoo.

Edit:
    Not sure where people are getting that notion. 1.5 million copies in 48 hours is great, sure, but that doesn't say that there aren't 3 million pirates who all want the game just as bad. As has been said earlier, I doubt Blizzard claiming their DRM is great really has much weight behind it.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2010
  4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

They're joking right - WOW is rampant with bots and cheats all of which are easily obtainable.

SC2 is fully pirated - granted you can only use cracked servers, but I doubt the pirates will be complaining.

long road to go - C+ for effort

5. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

They launched the new site the day before release with all units and stuff on there.. should take a look, there's a wealth of info.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Finally! Left me quite unsettled about how the game was going to turn out in the months before the beta launched and the Terran page had a lot of cool looking units with neat little descriptions and videos, and the Protoss units had just the same, and Zerg had two units, both of which were unchanged from SC1, despite seeing Nydus Wurms and Banelings all over their videos.

7. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

why is everyone bitching about SC2 launch price I got it for 29.99 with no delivery cost on the day of release??? Was pre order or looking around for a cheaper shop really that hard.
    On the topic of new battle net though it doesnt seem as good stable or user frendly as old battle net but that might just by rose tinted memory from SC & Brood War.

8. Cool_CR

Cool_CR What's a Dremel?

O and i will be getting Diablo 3 For £24.99 so um shop around.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Hmm, effective?

Source

10. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

11. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Battle.Net has done absolutely ZERO against piracy.

Starcraft 2 being a totally awesome game has done wonders for fighting piracy. PC gamers will pay for a quality game made for the PC.

Unfortunately piracy is still an issue with any game and people are playing pirated copies of Starcraft 2 in multi player mode.

Then again Piracy is free publicity for someone who has never play Starcraft, they pirate Starcraft 2 and like it so for now on they buy all of Blizzards future games. I think this is why Piracy still exist.

12. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

Unless you tried to break the DRM at some point, like the good folks at DarkBlizz, i dont think you know what youre talking about.

I know multiplayer has not been cracked yet (according to the good folks at darkblizz) as no bnet emulator has been finished yet. Im not sure where all those torrents are going. A non paying individual has been able to play vs ai sans cost since halfway through the beta, so that's nothing new. I dont know if singleplayer has been cracked, but i imagine it has.

To summarize: you still cant pirate multiplayer. BNet 2.0 seemingly works for that.

Also, screw activision. I like blizzard, but why oh why did they have to sell their souls? Paying maps? Really?

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

AFAIK you can't play multiplayer in almost any pirated game.
    However, from the review, the singleplayer is supposed to be quite good, no? Thus, they've still got something they were after for nothing, and it's still possibly a lost sale for Blizzard.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

No LAN play? Are you f***ing serious?

15. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

It is overpriced for a PC game.

£25 is the upper margins of what I would pay for a new game.

It's not that i could afford £35-£45 for this game, I could, its just that it doesn't represent good value in comparison to the rest of the PC market, and I don't want to feel like I am being ripped off.

Everyone has a finite pot of money to spend however and obviously if all PC games were this price, none of us would be able to buy as many games.

16. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm going to probably get my head ripped off for this, however, im all for it.

Considering how much development time goes into a game and costs etc. £35 is okay to me.
    Logging into battle.net is no problem for me. Don't blame Blizzard for your crappy net connections most people here download using Steam and this issue should be taken up with your Internet Provider.

As for its effectiveness as an anti-piracy tool. Everything can be cracked to an extent. Wow does have free private servers that you can get access too. But what's the point in having a level whatever player on a server like that?

Just my 2cents.

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

installed this last night and have no complaints with battle.net register then entergame key job done

my internet connection died 1/2 way through a fight last night and the game prompted me to say that acheivements would not be logged quickly ran downstairs to resart router and about 15 seconds later the game informaed me that the connection was back up

no complaints here

18. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Not everyone has always on network connectivity, if that is the case you end up cracking the legitimately owned software to be able to play it putting your computer at risk. Pirates will still work around the measures in next to no time.

19. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think the idea that Battle.net is an effective anti-piracy tool is inaccurate. People don't buy a game because they can't pirate it. The idea that somebody says, "Damn, I can't pirate this so I'll shell out £30 on it instead" is totally flawed, if somebody can't pirate a game then they usually just do without it, as evidenced by the fact that games that feature massive and invasive DRM don't sell any better than those that don't.

The best defence against piracy is quality and brand loyalty. If people like what you do then more of them will support you by buying your product.

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

That doesn't sound too bad then. Nothing worse than being halfway through a level when your router hiccups and you lose your progress.

Tags: Add Tags