1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield: Bad Company 2 DRM explained

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 28 Jan 2010.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Exactly. Whenever I reinstall windows, I don't go through uninstalling all my programs. I just wipe my C drive, (after backing up whatever), reinstall windows, then start reinstalling stuff.

Why can't we just have simple disk checks, and even, online serial number checking. I don't see how SecuROM has any benefit over these methods. Both of them can be cracked, as will be proven on release of the game, so why not just use a simple system thats been used for ages. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

I think EA just like being obtuse, maybe they want to see how much crap they can load their games with before people stop buying it.

2. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

How is that the same thing? If i buy something from a shop the tags get taken off, and the item is mine, i dont have to get the tags removed every time i want to use what i bought!!

Trackers and immobilisers are for my benefit not the car manufactures, They are to prevent people stealing my car!!

Yes the DRM issue does my head in aswell, and yes hearing comments on it does drag. But the fact is IT DOESNT WORK! BC2 will be all over torrent sites within a week of release.

The best solution imo would be to reward those that actually buy the games

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I have absolutely no problems with DRM in general and this DRM that is for BC2 is more than acceptable.

Does it hinder your playing the game in any way, shape or form? No. Simple as that.
    I ask then, how does it penalise you?

Impulse and it's games are DRM free, only need to register your game if you so wish. Demigod being a great little example. Fantastic game, but it was pirated something like three times more than it sold.

The DRM, whilst people gripe about it, it does not stop you from playing the game, at all. Even games that have stupid DRM, such as FarCry 2 (10 installs) were acceptable. If you uninstall a game 10 times, you either are undecided if you like it, or you love reformatting your machine. It even had the uninstall codes to send that you could balance out your installations.

Complaining about DRM is silly in my own personal opinion. Pointless bloatware such as Games For Windows Live, there is a topic to complain about, or IW.net, not DRM.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont mind DRM, if they wanna waste their resources on tying then they can, as long as it doesnt impact my gaming experience.

Steam has done a fantastic job with their distribution system.
    I will admit that I have pirated games in the past, its easy to get onto a torrent site and sit there waiting for a download.
    But since steam has grown(i had it back when it first started) I have purchased multiple games on the platform, it is easy, downloads everything, automatically updates, is effecticly a cloud backup and has a network community.
    I only really play MP games so it does me fine.
    I bought HL2/ Episode 1 and 2/ GTA4, UT2004, MW2, pre-ordered star trek online( got a refund thou didnt like the beta much) and have pre-ordered bad company 2.
    If it wasnt for the efficiency of steam, I probably would have pirated all those games(except the MMO)
    I just hope that bad company 2 doesnt annoy me too much with the extra EA registration

5. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

27 minutes!

6. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I just played the beta for an hour. Shitty console port anyway. I just cancelled my pre-order.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

before it gets out.

8. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

You just want to do that so you will be invited to the EA HQ to see how the game is developing, admit it! Just like L4D 2

9. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

I think one primary problem is that publishers STILL think that a pirate download = lost sale.

Utter crap, that is. Many people (Everyone I know who chooses to pirate games, at least) download pirate copies as a no-frills no-limits demo version of a game - We all know how frustrating it is to find a game we like, download the demo, play it for maybe half an hour until the demo ends and think its great. We buy the game, just to find that 10 minutes after the paid content kicks in, the game is a repetetive grindfest for 30 hours, and probably with a bad ending to boot.

I'm not in the least bit ashamed to say that I pirated Borderlands not long after it came out. I played it for around 11 hours (ingame time) before deciding it was WORTH the £30 it cost, and as I enjoyed it so much I paid the additional £14 for the two DLC's as well over steam.

When publishers get it into their heads that games that are actually good will sell well regardless of pirate download figures, and that DRM is just a mechanism for punishing those that DO decide to pay for the game, we will finally have a successful PC gaming ecosystem once again.

10. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Come on people this is JOKErom. It's not that mutated, H1N1, evil empire feces of a program STARFORCE. (I would induce bodily harm if someone put that crap on my PC)

I don't like Securom or anything on my PC that I don't want but they have to try to protect their hard work from Seeds and Peers. This version seems pretty tame and if my resource manager says other wise well then...ARRRRRg Matey.

I think BBC2 will be a good enough game that people will want to buy and play online. DICE has done a honorable thing by making a PC build version that's dedicated to PC owners instead of porting some crap over from the gimp360.

Dice is not those Neanderthals at Infinity Ward. Dice has shown us respect so lets respect them. But if you want to complain about something lets all BOYCOTT and complain about Games For Windows Live I hate that Micro$uck crap.

Can't wait to play Battlefield Bad Company 2

Last edited: 29 Jan 2010
  11. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

It's still excessive and a dealbreaker - I'll happily point you to possibly my favourite game ever released, Carrier Command - released back in 1987.

I still play it occassionally even though it has been 23 years since is was released. Thanks to Dosbox it's still perfectly playable but I seriously doubt any game released now will be as playable in 23 years time if it's laced with DRM, even with a fully working app that accurately emulates Win XP/Vista/7 - who's to say DICE wil still have operational serves for this in 2033? I just don't see that happening - just look at Microsoft deciding to drop the Play For Sure servers in 2008, just 4 years after launching the service and serves needed to licence purchased music (I appreciate that was a music DRM service, but there's nothing stopping game developers doing the same thing without warning - it's certainly been written into plenty of EA EULAs I've seen recently (i.e. every recent C&C release)).

12. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

What's the point? People who pirate it will remove the secureROM, and it wont' do a thing to solve piracy. It's ********.

It serves no purpose whatsoever.

13. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

Virtualised gaming will kill the need for drm, drm is the industry's last clutch at a disk system that works against pirates

14. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Sounds quite civil to me too. Regardless, it isn't a lazy console port like MW2 and differs from the console version, and that is something worth supporting.

15. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Well, at least they're not insisting on GfWL :)

16. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

securom dosnt work within a few weeks to months a patch will be realised to bypass this

17. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I LOVE the comments slating DRM by people who probably haven't read the article.

There's the option of a CD check, or an "activate once, reactivate by the time you're 50" online check. How cool is that? More to the point, how relaxed is that for DRM? This beats Steam's DRM by some margin, IMO. Especially since I don't have an internet connection at home.

CD checks have been a staple of PC games for 10+ years now. It's actually a very simple way of doing DRM, too. Official CD in? - Game on!

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Fair enough
    Well what a great idea!
    Finally no No-CD "patches" needed, and for the paranoid, no internet connection needed.

A lot better than this constant-connection-if-you-want-to-play that seems to be the rage right now.
    IF it works the way he says this is how DRM could have been all this time

19. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i second this with the cd patches they are a pain to get working (i have a very bad dvd drive i need a new one)
    i dont mind so much about the no-cd thing becasue if i need to ill just convert game to iso on pc then mout it with ultraiso (i can't stand the disk spinning in my dvd drive it makes a sought of clicking noise constantly)

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This seems like a tolerable DRM implementation to me.
    Ten concurrent installs? Online & offline activation? Disc-check option?

It's certainly better than I'd expect these days and a step in the right direction.
    If it slows pirates down (at all) without annoying customers then it's doing its job and leaves little reason to complain, in fairness.

Tags: Add Tags