1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Anti-Virus???

Discussion in 'Software' started by CandyMan, 28 Sep 2008.

1. CandyMan

CandyMan What's a Dremel?

Well im in dire need of a new anti-virus and firewall the one i have is a little out dated and I just dont feel my pc is safe now. So i need some suggestions what would be my best bet to make my pc safe. Thanks

CandyMan

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I use AVG free and its sweet, great layout. Not used the full pay package but that comes with everything.

norton and mcaffee are nothing but a pain supporting them at work so I wouldn't recomend them

3. CandyMan

Forgot to mention if it matter I'm running XP. I think I would like a firewall that way I can keep hackers and remote uploaded viruses to be stop before they reach my pc. Because I do my online banking and other very personal stuff on my pc. So I want to be as safe as i can get w/o losing much pc speed.

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

XP has its own firewall (with holes). If your running via a router then that should have a firewall, check the shields up web site to see how visable you are.
    AVG Free Edition gets my vote.
    Stayaway from norton or Macaffy.

Or the best AVSoftware? - Linux Distro's !! ( sorry any excuse to plug the power of linux)

5. DarkEditioN

DarkEditioN What's a Dremel?

I agree on Linux thing... :D But for windows, Kaspersky is the safest solution and NOD32 is the fastest solution... So its your choice there...

6. OleJ

OleJ Me!

AVG is pretty user-friendly. Couple it with either ZoneAlarm or Comodo (firewalls) and you have yourself a fair security setup.

And considering that you're aiming to run home banking I don't think Linux is a very good suggestion. I can't even run it on my macs. :sigh:

7. CandyMan

Well thank you guys you have been a great help i went and got avg and comodo firewall and it is picking stuff up that my old anti-virus and firewall didnt detect my pc is running 10x better. You guys are great.

8. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

i like avira security suite. it works very well and uses barely any cpu

9. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

10. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

Norton Internet Security 2009 first choice.

Kaspersky 2009 is very good, but the false postivies drive me mad !!!

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Avast gets my vote. I tend to give that to people who don't want to deal with the fuss of knowing how to maintain their computers and it gives them a verbal notice when it upfates the definitions. I know those are lame points but the free edition also lets you run start-up scans before windows has loaded (and thus has not let viruses load into the memoryto hide), which alone gets my vote over AVG.

Then again I havn't used AVG for a while so I could now be wrong.

12. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Free: Avast Home or Avira Antivir

Paid for: Kaspersky or NOD32
    ________
    Karinahorny Live

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  13. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

free : Avast

pay: NOD 32

or buy a mac and dont need to worry :) lol

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

NOD32 gets my vote. You do have to pay, but I really think it is great value for money.

15. evoyear

evoyear What's a Dremel?

i used Kaspersky, because the website recommend it is very secure, but it used a lot of cpu and memory though.

maybe i need a better pc to test it?

16. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Double check all your security setting as banking works fine with me, infact always has workd fine since Ubuntu 6.06

17. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

used nod32 for years, the program completes a full scan of my arrary in 11 minutes, at thats 5 hdd's making 2.3tb(total of 1.4tb of complete info) and thats quicker than anything else i've tried. Kaspersky took too long but is good for a complete service, prior to nod32 i used avg free for years, great prduct!

18. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

I think McAfee is awful - user interface sucks and it misses most things that AVG finds. McAfee has also caused a few failed boots for me over the years. Firmly an AVG user nowadays, free version is good enough and the UI is slick.

19. strjms72

strjms72 What's a Dremel?

pay for nod32

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I've come back to AVG Free after trying all the other free alternatives. It's pretty good, and the new ui is nice.
    However, firewall wise, Online Armour Free is epically good, much better than anything else I've tried. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the paid for version that includes the Kaspersky antivirus engine, which is saying something, because I'm a real cheapskate :)