1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best New Smartphone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 24 Apr 2011.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Sorry if wrong place to post this, just want some advice.

After suffering with an iPhone for 12 months, I want out of Apple's crap and want a new smartphone. Money shouldn't be a problem, and as long as it supports flash so I can actually web browse and watch videos I'll be happy. Any suggestions please?

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I would take the new galaxy 2 but in saying that the new samsung that is out in january with a 2ghz cpu sounds damn good

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Google Nexus S has good reviews
    Samsung Galaxy II will be out very soon, should be good
    LG Optimus 2X is also meant to be very good (Runs the Tegra 2 chip so it's very powerful)
    Motorola Atrix is also pretty good and it can be docked to work as a laptop
    HTC Desire S is an improvement on the already good Desire
    Desire HD is one of the best phones out there in my opinion

And that's just the Android phones...

4. SmilerAl

I'd be looking to get my new phone in the next two months or so.
    I guess Androids are the best competitor to iPhones yeah? (Don't have a clue for handheld technology).

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Yes they are. In the next 6 months nokia are bringing out 12 windows operated phones

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Windows Phone 7 is an excellent OS but has just been a bit slow on uptake.
    I'm no expert but I think if it had similar support behind it from developers as Android has it would be the best OS by far!

There are a lot of new phone releases happening in the next couple of months.
    The most exciting is the LG 3D phone which has had very good reviews from what I have read.

Or... If you don't want a brand new phone the new releases will drive down the prices of the older handsets, like the Galaxy and Desire (Cheapest Desire I have seen so far was £249 - bargain!)

7. SmilerAl

Like I said I'm gonna be on contract and roughly between £30-£40, but first I want to find the phone then find the best contract deals.

I like the look of the LG Optimus 2X, seems to be good beside a few software bugs of sorts?

8. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Those might be fixed via an update when you got to buy though

9. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

HTC Sensation (The follow up to the Desire HD) OR the Samsung Galaxy S2 would be the two phones I would seriously consider if I was looking at getting a new phone. Both will be released pretty soon and contain some awesome hardware for a mobile.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

The next gen samsung phone if money is no object. But you have to know why you want a smartphone as there's like 3 dif types I'd consider

The gaming smartphone - apple
    The open world type smartphone - andriod
    Text smartphone - blackberry

What is best is personal option, you say you dont like apple, which leaves about 200 other phones from high end to low end simply put there is no best phone at the min there's about 20 best phones which one to buy comes down to budget and choice of os

11. Dissident

Dissident What's a Dremel?

Samsung Galaxy II would be my choice, but alas I am stuck with my Iphone 4 for now.

12. NicknamE_UK

NicknamE_UK What's a Dremel?

I've had the HTC Desire HD for the last six months and couldn't be happier. It's the best phone out there IMO.

Compared it with my friend's Samsung Galaxy S the other day and the Desire HD seemed far simpler to navigate and has a better "feel" to it. Of course that's a matter of preference but it's literally impossible to be disappointed with the Desire HD. Fantastic phone.

13. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

make sure you go through retentions with your current mobile carrier to get the best deal, you shouldn't need to pay £30-40 a month for a contract phone unless you're a new customer.... And haggle with them.

I can say from experience that the HTC Desire is good. And I can also say don't get a HTC Wildfire. It's a great wee phone, but the screen isn't up to the standard you'll be used to or expecting.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HTC Sensation or Desire HD. I've seen the latter and is sexulous, yet the former has a dual-core CPU and looks even better.

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Sexulous, I like that word

16. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Right now the Desire S and Incredible S are two pretty good phones (desire S just about edges it), but in the long term I wouldn't consider them. If you are getting a two year, or even 18 month contract in May/June then the only realistic options at the moment imho are:
    HTC Sensation
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Motorola Atrix
    In that order. But this mainly comes down to my opinion of the skins each company put on their phones in the past. As I haven't had the chance to actually use any of these phones, there is a possibility that Samsung's skin might be better on the S2 when compared to the TouchWiz of old. We will just have to wait and see. I am also pretty biased towards HTC hardware. From personal experience, there is no other company that can come close on build quality, durability and style (and yes I include Apple, I think in terms of build quality they are equal, but I prefer the look of recent HTC phones, YMMV). Right now I am using the HTC HD2 with the Nexus S ROM (stock 2.3). I have to say the fluidity and performance of the phone are amazing. There are phones out there with slightly better specs, but the new batch of dual-core phones are the first true jump in terms of hardware capabilities since the introduction of the first 1Ghz Snapdragons in Q4 of 2009. Admittedly, you probably won't see much of a difference between, say Desire S and the Sensation/Galaxy S2/Atrix until Q4 2011/Q1 2012 simply because dual-cores are not standard hardware at the moment from a developer point of view, but in the long run (18/24 months is a long time, your contract will end in May 2013 if you go for 24 months) we should be able to see the difference. Right new the only advantage of dual cores is that they handle really heavy multi tasking better than single core phones. But there are only so many apps you can run. And your battery is not made out of rubber either. This is especially true for Android, if you are careless you can kill your battery quicker than in any other OS.

Windows Phone 7 so far has been a flop really. I wanted it to succeed, but it didn't seem to sell well, the hardware on offer is a bit bland, OS updates seem slow. Maybe my expectations were unrealistic, but I really expected the main points of the current update to be included in the OS from the start. Also I don't like the way Microsoft organizes the home screen. Too little variation between the phones as well. Both software and hardware wise.

Oh, and the Euro version of the Optimus 2X is terrible thanks to LG's "improvements". The US T Mobile one is actually pretty good, which shows that the hardware itself is fine. Thing is, do you want to buy a phone and put a bet on LG sorting out the software issues. I wouldn't bother when there are better phones out there.

You could say there is always XDA devs, but not everyone wants to play around with their ROMs. It's not that hard, and pretty much risk free, but it isn't for everyone. Though I have to say going from WinMo 6.5 with Sense to a custom WinMo 6.5 Artemis ROM and then moving to Gingerbread was an eye opening experience. I really though I need to upgrade my phone to something new, but after seeing how fast Gingerbread works on the HD2 I think I will just stick with a sim only plan.

17. SmilerAl

Probably an Android then, I find a great deal of handheld gaming irrelevant (that is, all the best games are just flash games).

Oh believe me, I've haggled before (moaning about being a student always works).

Thanks for all the feedback so far, so I shouldn't go for the LG Optimus 2x?

18. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking my next phone will be the droid bionic. I've never owned a smart phone before, but that one looks pretty good to my untrained eye.

19. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

20. cchr

cchr Minimodder

I'm a nexus s owner and i am very happy with it.
    if i was going to buy a phone right now it would be the htc sensation by far.
    or the desire hd which is in a lot of aspects the same with my nexus s.