1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard fighting off Warlords of Draenor DDoS attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Nov 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

The First level 100 was within 3 hours of release, and the 4 hour server maintenance has made no difference.

3. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Not sure about other realms but the whole launch has been a joke on Draenor EU. There's been poor communication throughout about what the issues are and what they were doing to resolve them, it even took them over 24 hours to mention a DDOS on the EU side.

When compared to the US forum and admins etc. and the number of issues they have had compared to EU either Blizzard in general don't care about the EU realms, Blizzard EU are incompetent by not employing enough support staff, or they're incompetent / greedy by not putting in the necessary back end infrastructure while still taking peoples money to allow them to move to Draenor which is apparently a "full" realm.

Now this is just my opinion, but even now at not far from 48 hours the game is still unplayable.

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

I think you meant to use a different word than "exasperated".

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

EU support has allways been dire compared to the USA , it was far far worse when they had native French speaking support (better since they had the irish support centre) .

they never learnt with TBC - or rather , thought the hardware could support it.

throwing ever max level toon into 1 zone , spamming 1 npc or 1 quest item - 1000+ at the same time , WILL crash your blades! add to that the cross realm`ing - and your maxed out server blade just gave up and went home...

I think they have brought more capacity online , but given WOD is quite pretty to look at and questing is well designed for casuals , its still not enough.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Over a 1 hour queue to log on to my realm; sucks to be honest

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Isn't this considered cyber terrorism? Pretty sure it is a federal offence in the USA and serious in other countries too. Surprised people still do it.

8. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

I'm convinced there is no DDoS attack happening whatsoever; Blizzard just don't want to admit they were woefully unprepared for the traffic they're handling.

You have the login servers, world servers and instance servers all choked due to their design; one entrance to Draenor, one starting zone, extensive use of 'phasing', Garrisons being tied directly into the plot, quest lines and professions and they need instancing for each player. Garrisons effectively do not work, pet battles, dungeons and battlegrounds have been affected. There are bugs that cause your character to become stuck unable to move port or logout, and if you Alt+F4 you cannot relog because your character is still 'online' server-side.

Last time I saw DDoS attacks the realms went down or were unavailable; none of these kinds of specific systematic failures.

9. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

I agree that the DDoS attack reason looks shaky, and probably is an unverifiable save-face excuse from Blizzard. Lag, log in issues and the like start to get worse as the day progresses (ie, as players wake up and log on). Unless of course the DDoS attacks are timed precisely to happen when players start to log in in greater numbers; that would be some timing!

I think it's more likely that Blizzard did a bad job stress testing their new garrisons feature, and also loaded loads of players in the same spot by design, thus making it even worse. It's a right screw up, especially when one considers how relatively smooth MoP's launch was.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2014
  10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Such practices need to be outlawed, right along with staggered launches, geo blocking and all the other racist crap going on in digital distribution.

11. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Not had to queue today, but it did not help on launch of WoD, Blizzard allowed free character transfers to the Al'Akir server, and also throttled the log ins.

12. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

1 hour queue? must be nice! 5hrs + on Dreanor Eu, a full server that blizzard was allowing paid transfer requests right up to release, the c@nts

13. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

anyway there is no DDOS mentioned actually by blizzard, the DDOS was created by the sheer amount of returning players and the lowering of the pop cap due to choke points, you know design flaws, whoops i said it

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15271097043#1

so yeah - they never mentioned it did they

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Haven't really have any issues past 2 days, Got to 100 and have been questing about.
    Did get kicked from a Heroic yesterday for a rolling restart of the realms -_-