1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cameron calls for an end to privacy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Does Cameron know what the word ironic means ?
    I feel sick.. :waah:

3. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

I presume he will also end the GPMS (Government Protective Marking Scheme) so we can all read what GCHQ, SIS etc dont want us to see!

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Lol, not even pretending anymore.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Great, just great. Let's entrust some of the least capable and generally most incompetent people with this much power. I'm not one for conspiracies, so for me this just sounds like a recipe for cock-ups in the future.

Besides, weren't the French terrorists already on the radars of intelligence services, I swear I recall hearing that hey were? In which case, lack of powers wasn't the problem, bloody doing something with it was.

Our "democratic" system is just rubbish. We've got the choice of voting for two parties who know jack s*** about economics, one who hates freedom of speech and another who's been filled up with looneys and is too small/inexperienced to have valuable input. Worst bit is that whoever we vote for we're ruined in some aspect or another. Anybody with enough brain cells and strong will to fix things doesn't stand a chance on their own and has to rise through one of the main parties instead, which of course dilutes them as they're surrounded by dimwits who block them if they don't line up with their own agendas.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

why just leave when you can leave in style eh dave?

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

In the words of Professor Farnsworth, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore".

In all seriousness, does he think that terrorists obey the law or something?
    It's illegal to break the speed limit, but millions do it.
    It's illegal to download copyrighted material, but millions do it.
    There's tons of other stuff that's illegal, and people still do it.

Why does he think that banning encryption and allowing the gov access to all comms will mean the Terrorists won't have a secure way of communicating?

Don't even need to get onto how bad they are at keeping data safe, "cough" CD left of train "cough", "cough, millions of laptops missing/stolen "cough".

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The thing that gets me is that the people who carried out these attacks in France were known to the authorities yet that stopped nothing, using the deaths of 12 people to justify the need for more intrusive surveillance powers shows how duplicitous Cameron is.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Please vote against him in the next election everyone

11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Just as importantly, who to vote for? The other options are just as bad. The labour party will only do the same thing as they have the same goals in regards to privacy, and the other parties are too small/incompetent. Of course there's also the worry that by voting for a fringe party, the less informed masses have a larger sway along with the informed die-hards.

No this needs to be handled by much more than just votes as that system's broken. I think the threat of losing support would actually be more effective. Much like how the threat of losing a character in a book is often more harrowing than actually killing one off. The message needs to be put forward to all the parties that this is not okay, not just the Conservatives. Simply denying votes could all too easily be attributed to other things like economic policy or welfare. Sadly I also reckon that all too many simply won't care.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i can understand why they want this.

the people will be in uproar when the security services weren't able to protect the public, because they weren't able to get the information needed.

but the people also want to have privacy.

there is no easy answer

13. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Minimodder

We do not have the option to vote against a politician in the general election. We can only vote for individuals.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is well known that the Lee Rigby murderers, and also the Kouachi brothers had been on the Secret Service radar for months. I think that the difficulty is not access to information, but evaluating its significance once you have it --and being able to allocate sufficient resources accordingly.

15. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

Please someone sew that idiot puppets mouth shut so we don't have to hear his sh*te anymore... Police state, Martial law..... Its happening and he is well and truly behind it!

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

RIPA was the thin end of the wedge. This looks like it's quite close to the fat end of the wedge.

17. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

"Such a law would make services like encrypted virtual private network (VPN) connections illegal to use in the UK"

I'm wondering how most large business and global organisations with mobile work forces will be able to their jobs....

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Time to trot out my favourite piccie for these situations...

[​IMG]

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm glad someone does, because most people seem to realise it's not a matter of gathering ever increasing amounts of data, or being able to read and listen to every citizens communications. Infringing on innocent peoples civil liberties with no just cause is not the solution, it's inconsistent with the very principal of freedom of speech and expression.

Sure there is, stop diverting resources into gathering ever increasing amount of data on innocent people and concentrate on those people that are considered a risk.
    Target your resources where the risk is highest, be honest with the public.

20. iggy

iggy Minimodder

Vote SNP mate.