1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canadian ISPs forced to filter P2P

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Mar 2008.

1. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

They already do. I have a mate on Tiscali who was having trouble with his connection, only it turns out that Tiscali was blocking access to certain IP's at peak times. For some reason they class the MMO Eve-online as P2P and blocked it at peak times

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

torll ?

if cable did an monthy cap thay lose Alot of customers as thay do not resell there lines so its not an smart move to put an very low 40/60gb limit on the line per month, as its very hard for virgin to get customers back ones thay go back to BT UK (ADSL)
    the day limit is only between 4pm and 10pm
    350mb 2mb/1mb speed limit,
    700mb 4mb/2mb speed limit,
    3gb 20mb/5mb speed limit
    all limiters have an 4 hr timer fom when it is hit (so if you did it 1 min before 10pm it last for 4 hrs the limter before full speed is back)
    thing is you can still download 200gb+ an day on Virgin cable (UK) (asumeing 20mb bb) not that i do mosty just tv downloads as i cant get the basic sky package on virgin due to sky wanting to cahrge vigrin 3x more then norm for shity basic HD chans

3. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

I get really frustrated with virgin, im on the 4mbit package and if i download over 800mb between 4pm and midnight i get throttled down to 1mbit... i also get very annoyed with ppl saying things like "Why should one retarded teenager who is sat in his goofy bedroom torrenting DVD's, pirated games, p0rn, stolen music whilst surfing YouTube, be able to saturate the available bandwidth of the other (same ISP) customers on the street he lives ? He shouldnt." thats completely besides the point, you are paying for a 4mbit connection, you should be able to download at 4mbit 24/7 if you want to without affecting anyone else, its the ISPs that are at fault here not the customers, its the same as the downloading is stealing argument... no it isnt, its copyright infringement, but industry feeds us lies and the vast majority of ppl just accept it, thats why our rights in general seem to just be fading away daily, because people just accept the lies industry and our government tell us </rant> anyways, i dont use p2p, its the shaping encrypted traffic that would affect me if something like that came into force in the UK

Its like being really hungry and buying 4 sandwiches from sainsburys, you eat 1, then someone from sainsburys say you can only eat another one every 5 hours because there are starving children in africa, and your like but if i dont eat it they still wont get it either, and they are like we know but it makes us feel better, ok so its not a direct comparison, because its not a case of because ur eating all the food the starving kids cant have any, however it is like your eating all the food, the company doesnt want to make any more, so the kids go hungry, its the companies that should be upgrading their service, not punishing their customers

I also dont believe the reason virgin throttle is for users benefit, not with the cable side anyway, they provide fibre to the curb, theres plenty of bandwidth available there, the only reason they throttle is to save money, end of story

Last edited: 28 Mar 2008
  4. Kode

Kode What's a Dremel?

ok im not sure where u get ur information from, but its wrong :) on 4mbit its 800mb between 4-9 (although im not sure the 9 is accurate, it still seems to happen until 12) and then the line is throttled from 4mbit to 1mbit for 5 hours not 4,

Broadband Size: M
    300MB from 2Mb to 1Mb

Broadband Size: L
    800MB from 4Mb to 1Mb,

Broadband Size: XL
    3GB from 10mb/20Mb to 5Mb

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Last edited: 28 Mar 2008
Tags: Add Tags