1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't force client to work faster with Q9400

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Synay, 14 Nov 2009.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I just upgraded my system processor form wee Celeron 1500 to nice and new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. Mildly overclocked it to 3GHz and I starded folding on it. Here's the problem. My folding client (6.23 System tray client with viewer on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) won't use more than 25% of CPUs power, thus it returnes only about 500PPD. Tried uninstalling the client and reinstaling again, but it keeps remembering all old settings. CPU usage is set to 100% which is just not happening. Very frustrating. :wallbash:
    Anybody can help?

2. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

Did you start it with the '-smp 4' setting?

If not then it will be running as a standard cleint and only use 1 core.
    Create a shortcut and edit it with that at the end :)

It should look something like "D:\Folding@Home\Folding@home-SMP.exe -smp 4"

3. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

It is using 100% of one core, exactly as it is supposed to, your problem is that you are using the wrong client. You need the WinSMP client.

4. Bork_Bork

Bork_Bork What's a Dremel?

5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

With more than one core you need to use a client that runs on multiple cores, such as the SMP (Symetrical Multi Processor) (Windows or Notfred's) or more than standard client, one on each core.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

What they all said ^ :) Simple answer to a simple problem ;)

7. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Thanks for help, I managed to install the smp client, but here'se my other problem. If I run it like normal, it runs nice, but as soon as I try to run with -smp to use all my 4 cores every time I come up with following error. Any ideas? Thanx.

[​IMG]

8. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

When you configured the client (fah6 -configonly) did you put in the additional client parameters -smp -deino -verbosity 9? I find this is easier since then I don't need to put them into the shortcut, and remember where the spaces and hyphens go.

9. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

10. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Thank you

I just wanted to thank you guys. I got everything up and running. I went a bit different route, but if it wouldn't be up to you, I'd still be in the dark. Now I have three SMP clients running on single cores, one CPU sys tray client and a sys tray GPU client as well. And the PPD is beeter then ever. I'm so happy that I want to share this with you. Here's the pic of everything working on full thrust.

[​IMG]

Now I'm going to save some money for my Core i7 / GTX285 SLI upgrade and the folding will be even more sweet then.

Thank you again.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You're not running smp clients

Amber cores are normal clients. You're missing out on a lot of points there.

12. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Interesting. Did I configure something wrong? I did set it for to receive big WUs and everything else according to the guide on folding@home website. Am I missing something? How can I the set up to receive smp cores? Thanks for pointing that out.

13. Keith_Whi

Keith_Whi What's a Dremel?

The SMP client can be tricky to get running. You must have the correct arguments in the shortcut as quoted earlier by Christopher and 1 SMP client will run on 4 cores.

You can run 2 of them but ppd gains are negligable.

I ran the SMP client for some time and found it OK but high maintenance. You should seriously consider the NOTFRED as quoted by Bork_Bork.

A guide to NOTFRED installation is also here with screenshots.

It's easier to install and set running and you get more PPD than the SMP.

Once you get it up and running use prifinity 2 to set the affinity of your cores so your GPU client doesn't lose PPD due to being starved of CPU. Link here

:thumb:

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If you're using the MPICH client you just need -smp

15. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I tried running it with -smp but it just fails everytime and says exactly what I included in my first screenshot in this topic. But I'm just going to wait few hours for all my Wus to be completed and then I'll uninstall all CPU clients and try with the NOTFRED. I'll get back with the update tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

16. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Grrrr!!!! Annoying. But I don't give up, so: I followed the guide how to set up a NOTFRED to the letter, everything was going fine and it started as it supposed to, except that I get the following error after restarting the client after the recofiguration. And as you see on the included picture, CPU stay iddle. Just to give extra info, same happens whether I run 2 instances with affinity set to 2 cores per instance and when I allow it to run all 4 cores in one instance. At the end I get the same message.

[​IMG]

17. Bagpuss_Nam

Bagpuss_Nam What's a Dremel?

I cant see the picture so I dont know what the error is, but is the Virtual Technology enabled in the BIOS ?

18. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Do you want me to remote on to your PC and give you a hand?

PM me with a time

19. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Ok, I will. Once I find PM button :) Thanks.

20. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

do a left click on saspro,s name and you will get a drop down menu for PMs etc