1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Carmaggedon: Max Damage Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 11 Jul 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I don't know if it's the screen shots but it looks like a PS2 era game.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I backed this with rose tinted specs. The game is absolute dogsh.. in every sense of the word.

4. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Am I right in thinking that the original was a better game? And that was back in the mid to late 90's.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Thirty quid.

Hahahahahahaha is it April 1st?

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Watching Stathams "Death Race" I thought....this is just a demomovie for a new game.

Weighing the strongpoints of the car
    tactics during the race
    Powerfull but hard to get powerups

It sounds so easy....

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The original was excellent (IMO). I haven't played the new game, but I still regularly play the original on Android (as mentioned above) and it's still just as much fun as ever - except for the controls are on a touchscreen device which never helps)

To be honest, pretty much everything mentioned in this review describes exactly how the original played - from the identical power-ups to the race/combat mix. I'd have to play it myself to be sure, but this review certainly reads like the author hasn't played the original...personally, i think it sounds pretty good (just not for £30!!!)

9. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Ah, I played the original, but what makes a game good in 1997 and what makes a game good now are pretty different things, I think.

Especially for £30. Dear me.

10. IT Troll

IT Troll What's a Dremel?

Think I'll wait for the GotY edition.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I backed this through the lens of thick nostalgia glasses, it is terrible :(

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, it's a half-arsed nostalgia cash in - who'd have thunk it?

I am biased - I thought the original was puerile fun for about half an hour and got old really quickly.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

The original Carmaggedon demo was great. Running over humans had instant appeal and it was hilarious too (the old lady with the Zimmer frame shouting out how she was in the war was rib tickling).

However, a demo was enough. The full game was cut to pieces and included zombies and was nowhere near as fun. Part of the excitement of the demo was killing as many people as you could against the clock.

However since then time has moved on. Whilst the physics and handling weren't bad in the original they were surpassed with games like Daytona USA and even Screamer.

Every time they have tried to resurrect this game it's just been fail (Carmaggedon 64 for example).

The problem is the shock value has gone. Since then we have had tons of games that have shocked us (the airport scene in one of the COD games for example) and so on. There's no getting that back either.

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I never thought carmageddon had any shock value, it was just fun. I remember grinding to get enough credits to buy the massive dump truck in Carmageddon 2, good times

Tags: Add Tags