1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CD Projekt launches new on-demand games platform

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Oh definitely, although I would prefer it if I could get these on Steam, what kind of system is it? Is it like Steam where you have to have Steam running to play the game or is it just a download service that lets you get the game and install it on your computer (with maybe a one time activation but re-downloadable from their system)

EDIT, went to the site.

EDIT 2: Vista compatible old games, that is a BIG selling point for me.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2008
  3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

seems like a great place to find stuff that traditional stores wont stock any more

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Vista compatibility is good, yes.

I thought FreeSpace 2 could be had for free, though - legally.

Also, I'd rather they got the Witcher Enhanced Edition released. ;)

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Vista and XP compatible?...

Interesting, but i don't think they will change the core of the game itself. I think they will develop some third party program to make them run on newer compies.

Dos box perhaps?

Anyway i would love to see Incubation (battle isle 4) added to that list! OOOOO And ALL the Ultimas too!

6. Xir

Xir Modder

An interseting concept.

Do they sell worldwide?

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would love it if they could make packs of games at a lower price and, in several occasions, an all you can eat buffet.

8. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's a great idea, but I would have preferred it on Steam/Impulse. I know I like how those two programs work.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Sounds like they've got it bang-on to me. Even without them being on Steam, it doesn't matter to me tbh.
    No DRM.
    Good pricing.
    Full Vista ability.

Win++.

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

It sounds like a great idea.. but I agree with Veles.. incorporating it into Steam might have been a better idea.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Why does it need to be incorporated into steam? If they're making game prices as low as they say, then there would be no profit by the time valve had their cut. I would agree with you if it was a case of another DRM ridden hub for games (like steam), but it's essentially just a downloader you only have to run once. You can then install it and put a shortcut into your steam games box if it bothers you that much, i'll take it DRM free thanks.

12. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they'll be able to up the resolution on some of the older classics. That would be great!

13. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Cool. Though wether I actually use it will depend on what they get on there I guess, hopefully some of those I never got around to but always wanted to :).

14. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Freespace? SOLD!

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

The reason for me prefering it on Steam is that we know Steam has been and will be around for quite awhile and with this if the service doesn't take off (I think it will) then all our games would be lost. Like the Plays for Sure thing with MS, they ditched it and now any music you bought is essentially useless.

16. banshee256

banshee256 What's a Dremel?

Freespace 2 is already available as freeware and some blokes running Linux (I assume) have already upped the graphics, made it XP and Vista compatible and added new campaigns to it.

But if they seriously make all the good old games run on XP and Vista, without the need for DOSBox or something like that, I'm game. And at those prices I would be able to buy 5 old games at the price of one new game, lasting 10 times as long and having 20 times more fun.

EDIT: And please don't require me to run some kind of client on my computer, to able to download it, like Steam. I don't like being forced to have something running in the background.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2008
  17. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

This really is the perfect game distribution method. You get the quality of a pir8ted copy with the warm fuzzy feeling you get with a legit version :p My only suggestion is that, since they already have the games' code, they should release them for Linux/Mac users as well. Aaahh, gaming utopia ;)

Tags: Add Tags