1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CES 2011: Nvidia and LG launch first Tegra 2 Smartphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 6 Jan 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Battery life?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

there is absolutely nothing wrong with Imagine Technology's graphics units for smartphones.

i think Tegra line by nVidia really should be aimed at tablets instead of a small smartphone where due to space limitations, you cannot have a very large battery capacity.

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

amazed that it took this long to get tegra 2 into something. Was looking forward to it a long time ago. Especially after seeing what tegra did for the zune hd

5. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Nothing less than "super" would do it for Jen-Hsun...

That being said the vids I've seen of this phone do look delectable.

7. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Considering how terrible battery life is on pretty much every smartphone nowadays, I don't think this is going to work out.

8. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

nVidia claims that their battery life is improved because it's using two cores. Their logic comes from the idea where high workload = less efficient power consumption.

In a single core situation their one core is under high workload and thus uses more power
    In a dual core situation, both cores share the high workload so each core has a much lower workload and together they have a better power efficiency than the single core. Their dual core chip is also capable of downclocking/shutting down a core for power savings.

I'd take that with a grain of salt though.

9. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Just add that Tegra chip to the upcoming iPhone and you could have the best phone on the market
    (by the way I'm not an Apple fan boy the only apple piece I've got is the iPhone)

10. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Haha, Apple would never allow that to happen. Tegra 2 is too mainstream, they need to be 'different.'

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Two cores sucking no power still equals no power. However, in regards to Tegra 2, I remember reading that although the whole SoC is clock gated, it isn't power gated, which is not going to be great.

Samsungs SoC though should deliver on the lower power draw promises (compared to a single core), but even then, the screen is by far the most power hungry component of any phone, so while you may see figures like "20% less power draw", they are only refering to the SoC, not the whole phone, so any gain will be minimal until screens get a lot more efficient.

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

power draw will drop when color E-ink becomes "fast switching" and will not be as power efficient as black slow E-ink.

13. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Apple and adobe had some serious dispute since the problem adobe had with apple while launching the 64 bit version of the CS2 (or was it CS1?) and the snow leopard OS. Apple was so full of crap that adobe simply quit developing the 64 bit version for that OS.

Since then adobe and apple were stepping in eggs with each other. Anyway, it looks the natuaral flows of events that adobe adopts the HTML5 for them. And every time I see "Apple" and "Adobe" in the same topic I think there's much more than what meets the eye.

But back to the topic:
    LG, Nvidia, Google and Adobe in a single package? Where do I sign?

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Was looking in the Nexus S to replace my Galaxy Spica (I5700) but I might just wait for that LG phone. Most important for me would be battery life and future OS support.

Support from Samsung is a bad joke. My phone's barely 14 months on the market and hasn't seen an OS update since August. And I'm not talking about any update provided by Kies, the biggest joke when it comes to phone software I've ever seen. I'm talking about getting ANY Samsung-provided firmware on the net. Yes, Android 2.1 is nice but 2.3 is out already! Thanks Samsung for not supporting my phone anymore.
    [/rant]

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

While not supporting flash in browsers Apple lifted the ban on 3rd party app development tools (read: flash) a few months ago.

HTML5 and WebGL probably wont reach market saturation of above 80% any time this side of 2015...So it's really pointless talking about it at the moment. My personal opinion is that HTML5 is fragmentation disguised as standardisation, just as html standards have always been.

Hardware acceleration is more important than ever due to the next internation of Flash, called Molehill, which is in beta at the moment but due for relase in the first half of 2011. It includes a low-level 3D API and gamepad support, so this is what Flash-based browser games are going to look like by the end of this year:

link to MAX 2010 unvieling - Shows task manager CPU load at 0, and the demo being controlled with a logitech steering wheel

Last edited: 7 Jan 2011
  17. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

This is my one major gripe with Android. I really wish Google would make it mandatory that manufacturers at least provide a means of installing stock versions of Android as they're released. :(

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

so is this one of those I have a battery attached to my belt so I can have a decent talk time with this thing lol

you know its sad that todays phones the WORST feature to be tested ends up being the phone part you know the whole reason why you got a phone to be able to call people lol... I think we are loosing focus a bit on what a cell phone is suppose to be geared for lol.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, because we all know that the ARM processor that Apple uses instead is a really rare beast. :rolleyes:

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

No no no... You're getting this ALL wrong. Apple doesn't use an ARM processor. They use an A4! There's a world of difference (because Apple says so).

Tags: Add Tags