1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Christian game ruffles feathers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 13 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'm confused do you have to convert them then kill them?

Or kill them, then convert them?

3. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I think the basic premise is the atheists etc got left behind on judgement day, you need to go around explaining to them that God is annoyed. If they listen to you, fine, if not - kill them.

Which is a bit strange, surely everyone would believe in God if half the world had gone to heaven.

4. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

So tempting to get it just to see if you can do a sort of "Hot Islam" mod which switches it to Muslim conversions etc and see if our friend Jack Thompson wades in on the debate

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm going to look for this next time I go to Wally world, if for no other reason than to send Ryan a copy for review :p

EDIT: What he said /\ /\

Also, too bad you can't play as the spawn of Satan, would be a much more fun game. To quote Dark Helmet...

6. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

Wonder if this one'll see a German release...

7. abreev8

abreev8 What's a Dremel?

Either the game wasn't produced with the spirit of the books or what is being said here is grossly exagerated. I really hope it's just an exageration, because if the game really ended up like that, I'm dissapointed and worry about what people might think because of this.

8. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Heh, Gamespot Gives it a generous 3.4 - Bad. Can't believe anyone would want to play that crap for religious reasons, I could only see playing it to mock it.

9. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

What an awful concept for a video game...

I know that the US is a Christian fundamentalist haven but wow.. I thought the whole point of this "religious" sh1te was to "bring people together in peace and harmony".

Instead, this game says, if you don't believe what we believe, then we kill you.

Hmm. Swap all the "Christian" iconography and references with Islamic ones and, well, what's the difference between the "Muslim" extremists and the "Christian" values being portrayed here?

Sad.. utterly sad that in this modern age people are still so tied to outdated, draconian belief systems. Why can't they follow something more believable like us Jedi??

10. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

i wonder when the Muslim version comes out. I'm really looking forward to playing Jihad. :worried:

...come on I'm christian and this game makes me sick. i love playing CoD and HL2 like any other gamer however the principals in this game are so conflicting and mocking to what it stands for i hope it does get banned. it portrays such a confusing and inaccurate image of what Christianity really is. should someone join up to your religion on fear of being killed by the believers, absolutely not. i would fane to say it however the Christ that these people believe in must be a different person than who i am following because last time i checked he was renown for being MERCIFUL. :confused:

11. mattyt

mattyt What's a Dremel?

All I can say is stupid dispensationalists, the whole 'left behind' thing only comes from a very, erm, novel way of interpreting the bible. However the books and so on which I preume this game stems from are actually primarily the work of two authors in the U.S.

Not even all dispensationalists agree with them. This is the same kinda thing that happens with 'extremist' Muslims, the 'regular' Muslims say 'that's only a small percentage of us, we don't condone violence'.

The two important factors as far as I can tell are.
    A. Are the 'regular' believers saying that because it's absolutely true. Or are they pleased when violence happen and maybe secretly support them.

B. They may be a 'minority' but just how big is the minority. Hundreds, Thousands, Millions?

As a christian I am ashamed to see this game in production. I can only hope it flops tremendously and gets a lot of bad press.

12. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I would pay more for a muslim/islam mod just to see how people react!

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Don't care what others are playing... nor do I care to talk to people who despise me. So I guess I will never ever come into contact with this game... so I don't care :D

14. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I personally find this game offensive as it doesn't really follow the books to closely or Christianity in my opinion. In the books the game is referenced to the main characters try to convert as many people as possible but they don't go on rampages killing those who don't. I personally think this game will flop and won't shed a tear.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

being an atheist i find religion a fascinating subject to dive into, apart from having some really cool names for things i can see why people look to it for a sense of guidance however those who follow it blindly by shouting about how their beliefs are better then others as well as commiting acts of violence because of it are ****ing idiots.

The media doesn't help by whipping up **** and making it worse just to get a better sounding story. I say we gather up the media and these blind religious zealots, ship them to France and turn them into glass with a 60 megaton solution.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2006
  16. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

The statement from the Chief Exec on the company website describes the violence a little differently:
    Link
    So if you believe him then a lot of this is hype.
    Regardless of that relegious games themselves are dangerous territory that can do nothing more than further spread hatred and misunderstanding as this title will do because unless you are a fanboy of that particular religion the only things you are likely to know about it are what you hear second hand.

As an atheist i find it all rather funny really!

I would give it a game, who cares about plot, if it is a good game it is a good game, chances are it will be poor anyway.

17. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

I read the first of the Left Behind books and thought it was complete and utter pants. Poorly written, clichéd and just plain bad literature. So I guess I'm not surprised to see that a game based on the series is equally rubbish - even if it seems to have entirely missed the point of the books. I expect the game will be bought by a lot of well meaning, but misguided, parents for their kids thinking they're giving them something morally better than your average FPS. But seriously, this kind of game kinda robs christianity of any moral high ground it may aspire to. Not quite up there with televangelists, witch hunts, crusades or inquisitions but as the scripture says, "train up a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Scary.

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The issue isn't whether or not you believe in God. The ones who are left behind aren't necessarily Atheists, they are the ones who choose not to repent for their sins. The basic premise behind judgement day is that Atheists and Christians alike will be left behind.

As for the game, I have to wonder. Any time a video game is blamed for causing a kid to shoot up a school, we all jump up and defend video games. Why is this case be any different? Will this game be the exception, causing kids everywhere to go out and kill non-Christians?

-monkey

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Video I found on you tube of Left Behind. Some of the comments from the creators and gamers are so stupid. It looks like a poor game and does not interest me at all.

You Tube Video

Yeah, there asking why are they playing this stupid game.

But you would let your son play this???

That’s what you think.

Ok. Im not sure what to say. Does that mean spiritual warfare is ok???? Role on more religious wars please.

What??? lol how stupid a comment is that.

Ok, so its ok to kill non believers of your religion eh??

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Did you read this lol

lol are they worried about something.

Tags: Add Tags