1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Church of England: Games are a force for good

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I agree, in a way.

I get to rage dump in games, and I'm a much calmer person in the real world. Force for good in my world, kthnx.

3. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Soldier of Fortune taught me that it is possible to blow off both legs with a shotgun before the torso hits the floor... :p

Agree with lira's point on rage dumping... headshots in TF2 always do the trick :)

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

In my life I'm a very violent person... but AFK I'm a Zennist, completely Zen and peaceful.

5. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Wow there's actually a non gaming institution thats not against us!

I found some games, particularly those with morality decisions (mass effect in particular) made me feel good about choosing the nicer solution to the problem.

Personally i prefer a Demo grenade to the face :D

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

back in the NES days they actually had some religous games, I recall a Moses action adventure game as well as a noah sidescroller (had to collect 2 of every animal) I'm surprised there hasn't been an indy religous game since, save for maybe left behind but I heard that was terrible.

I think games are like any other form of media or entertainment in which they can be used for good or bad and can influence or teach powerful messages. Similar to films games have ratings and young children probably shoudln't be playing GTA just as they shouldn't be watching fight club.

I totally agree that games can teach many positive things like teamwork, problem solving, rules etc

7. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Hmm did any of the Jedi Knights games come up in this discussion? I know you could choose to be good but personally I thought it was much more fun to choke the life out of stormtroopers and anyone else who got in my way :)

Tags: Add Tags