1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master ACTS 840

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

This case looks awesome its just the price tag thats a little out of my range. I got my Haf 932 for about 100 pounds here in South Africa which translates to about 1.6K rands if I had to go for this ATCS it would translate to about 3k rands ... ouch

3. DaMightyMouse

I was wondering if there is any way to add dust filters to the HAF?

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

You could definitely mod your own in... I don't know what works these days, but back in the day I used women's tights/stockings and they worked very well (although you'll get a strange look when you buy them from your local store). You don't want thick tights... they need to be as fine as possible ideally. Then you literally just cut pieces and stretch them over the fans, using electrician's tape to secure them in place. I'm sure there are better options than this, as well, but that's just one for starters. :)

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now that's a case with potential. A very worthy blank canvas.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

It made me want to dust off my tools and get back into modding again! I think there's massive potential for some of the PC60-esq mods (and Cyprio's Apple G5 mod) to be done to this - it's a good looker to start with so you'd want to keep that intact... merely add to the design and enhance it. :)

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Tumble dryer sheets :D

8. DaMightyMouse

Time to raid my girl friend's closet hehehehe :)

9. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Now that's Case!
    Given the great results & rating I bet a celebration feast took place once review was written.

10. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Any thoughts on increasing the air cooling performance? Although this looks like an opportunity for me to try my hand a watercooling maybe :)

A truly top quality case though. Beautiful :)

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It certainly seems that cases with side panel intakes get a huge boost in air cooling performance - the HAF 932 and the akasa Omega both use this to good effect. Cut a 230mm blow hole into that nice big side panel and i'm sure you'd see temperatures better than those we say in HAF 932.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

That's all very well... but how did it perform in the Martin test?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not bad, the button is nice with an excellent click, however there's lots of wiggle that lets it down. It's a solid 8/10

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Please don't use 'off of' - it sounds like 'offal' and it ain't proper English.

If anything, it just wants to read 'off' or 'from'.

/grammerwtfnazi!1cheesecake

15. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Well its been nice knowing you TJ09....

I cooling performance does not bother me much since it seems well within spec, especially since this will be much quieter than the HAF!

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

the two are pretty much identical in terms of noice actually - the use of low RPM 230mm fans means all you'll really hear is the air the low rush of air into and out of the case - they're both stunningly quiet.

17. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Awesome, I've been hoping for a Bit-Tech review of this for a while. I thought this case looked right up my street when I first saw it and I'm glad the specs on paper reflect in the actual performance. I think this will be the case I use for my new PC in 2009. I've just got to decide if I can swallow the price, it's a bit steep for my likeing but it looks like a sound investment.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

? How is it fail? It's not that much different to the A1 tbh.

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Sorry but STFU.......All you ever do is moan about the orientation of the HDD rack! The only thing that is an "utter fail" is your reasoning behind why this orientation is an "utter fail"!

So please please please stop!

Last edited: 31 Oct 2008
  20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

There is nothing wrong with the drive rack. As we've told you before, we've spoken with several representatives from case manufactuerers regarding this, and they all say the same thing - orientating the drives one way or the other makes no difference. The drive cage allows plenty of space between drives for air to move, and even has provisioning for two 120mm fans to be mounted inside.

If you have some testing or results that support your claims, then by all means present them and we'll reconsider our stance on this. Otherwise, please stop reposting the same comment over and over in case reviews - it's getting close to spam now.

Back on topic now - This is case is awesome! seriously making me want to whip out the tools and cut a window/blow hole into those side panels - they're just begging to be modded.

Tags: Add Tags