1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corsair or Crucial Ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 22 May 2008.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

What is the best manufacturer of memory? I see Corsair and Curcial Ballistix seem to be popular, but what Ram would give an advantage over the other?

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The Corsair stuff is more prolific, but they really are much of a muchness.

I guess when you get into the dominator stuff with thr DHX head spreaders then the corsair stuff is faster, but they both in the top five manufactures.

3. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

I purchase Corsair stuff all the time. (From Scan!) & I've NEVER had a faulty stick or compatibility problems.

Speed wise they're pretty good. But there's a lot of other RAM out there. (But speed comes at a price premium)

4. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

I was going to go for one or the other as the review I read in custompc said either were great

I went for Crucials at the time because they were cheaper, thats the reason :)

5. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Nice to hear, would you lot say they are better than Kingston?

6. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Dont like Kingston. Had a lot of PC repairs with faulty Kingston RAM. In fact I've just had to replace a DDR400 512MB module yesterday.

I would never buy it.

7. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I bought 2GB of Cruicial Ballistix... I liked the colour.

8. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

I read the Crucial ballistix is geared towards gaming? is this true and does ram timings affect this? if comparing against Corsair ram?

9. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

My personal preference is to Corsair
    as "I" think that are one of (if not) the best Ram out there and have never had a faulty one yet

10. nazomcg

nazomcg Minimodder

Crucial, on the basis they are a Micron owned company, hence you are pretty much guaranteed to get Micron memory chips (D9MGH etc.)

11. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Corsair have to be the most trouble-free that I have purchased.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Both are great, you would not be stupid for picking one over another :)

13. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

As far as I can tell the main difference is the price, if you don't mind paying a premium for a little bit extra performance then go for the Corsair but I use Crucial Ballistix (on the strength of the Custom PC review) and I don't have any issues at all. Yes the Corsair is better but not enough to justify the (often) huge price difference.

14. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

Most tests between the 2 seem to be so close that I dont think the differences are noticable in real time conditions?

I dont think you can go wrong either way

I bought the Black Tracers because I wanted the flashing lights and the glowing memory slots ..they look great

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i have had both at some point in time, currently i am using cruical ballistix's as in my view there pretty much the best bang for buck, I have had my 6400 rated sticks up and beyond the speed of 1000Mhz. The ballistix brand took a beating during its DDR1 days, many modules would fail and alot of RMD's were processed. they seem to have got there act together for DDR2, i cant wait for prices to drop on DDR3 tbh.

I say there isn't much difference in top memory brands. If you buy PC2-6400 C4 from OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, Geil you wont get much difference in performance. the performance is in the luck of overclocking some are speedy but there is no way of telling until there ripped out of there anti-static bags and tested.

If you want to overclock the nuts off, getting high speed rated memory.

16. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I've never had any issues with corsair ram so i'd buy it again, though atm i've got 2 GB of ballistix in my system. The situation was that I had 4x256Mb corsair low latency stuff, since im still using DDR finding memory is hard overclockers had a low latency 2GB corsair kit in for 150 quid, amazon had a normal latency 2GB ballistix kit in for 50 quid, you can guess how fast I made my choice!

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i hear bad stories about Ballistix, so im a bit scared from it.

bought 4x2GB Corsair XMS2 (cheapest standard ones) and they are great! much better than OCZ, i will buy more Corsair stuff in the future!

with an Intel system, there's little to no difference with the latency. i've tested using my old OCZ 4x1GB sticks, at 4-4-4-12 vs 5-5-5-18 gave no performance difference at all with 3dmark 06.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I like Corsair and I'll buy Corsair for a long long time

19. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

glad to see somebody else purchases ram the same way i do. i can't get enough of ocz's 'platinum' chrome heatspreaders.