1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Corsair unveils Vengeance K70

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

If the UK version does retail at £86, i'd be very tempted to buy, i've been after a replacement mechanical keyboard for a while and one with backlighting at a good price has been really difficult to find so far.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not a chance in heck of that happening, I'm afraid. There's VAT to take into account, which immediately turns that £86 into £103.20 - then there's import tax and all the rest of the awkwardness that comes of selling things into the UK from outside. I reckon you'll be looking at £99.99 if Corsair is feeling generous, £109.99 if it isn't.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Bit pricey for me I'm afraid. And I want it in black and blue!

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

As a K60 user, I won't upgrade until every key is mechanical... having rubber domes for ESC and the other keys is just irritating.

I also quite like the silver alu compared to the black.

6. B1ackbeard

B1ackbeard Browncoat

Mankz, the K70 is fully mechanical - every key is Cherry MX Red. Same is true of K95.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

This looks interesting but will have to see how it feels, as no doubt Scan will have some on display at some point so will have to try it out 1st.

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

This for me too.

9. Gareth Halfacree

:p

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

TL;DR in future please...:lol::lol::lol:

I blame the anesthetic in my system.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Are RGB LED's really that much more expensive? Given the premium nature of this keyboard I am sure that anyone thinking of buying it would consider paying a little more and would gives others the options they require when it comes to the colour of the backlighting...

13. Gareth Halfacree

They're between three and ten times the cost, and require three times the logic to drive (one IO line for red, green and blue, compared to just the one for a single-colour LED). Given that a 110-key keyboard with individual backlighting on each key would need 110 LEDs, that's a not-inconsiderable cost.

As an example: surface-mount red LED, 4.4p each; surface-mount RGB LED, 34p each.

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Actually, if they can achieve this for £110 and the build quality is on target it will be quite an attractive board for gamers I think.

It'll certainly make the Duchy Shine 2 look like poor value for money. I'm enjoying sitting back and watching the big peripheral manufacturers get their teeth into the mechanical keyboard revolution :)

I sold my Shine 2 as I was not really doing it justice with my limited gaming time, but per-key backlighting is definitely useful for dark sessions, even if it is just to highlight the quicksave/quickload keys :hehe:

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

OK, that is fair enough and I understand the higher costs, but there is no way Corsair would be paying those costs as they would be getting them direct and in bulk. I still think they cold have done it on a premium board such as this even if it raised the price by £20-£30.
    I think there is a definite gap in the market for a FULLY customisable board but we keep getting 'almost there' boards.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Economies of scale don't help when the differential doesn't change. If you reduce the cost of the components by half in a bulk order, the RGB LEDs are *still* nearly ten times the cost of the single-colour LEDs - and that's ignoring the requirement to have 330 PWM control lines to light 'em up instead of 110.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Someone will eventually offer RGB backlit mechs, but there is still a much bigger market for membrane boards which cost a lot less and are much easier to backlight, as evidenced by Saitek, Razer and TT to name a few.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I saw this and the new K95 but decided with the k90 as I like the spare keys and the finish of the k90

19. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That is a good looking keyboard!

20. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Unless either RGB led can be designed to have only 2 leads, or Cherry redesigns the MX switch to house led with more than 2 leads, RGB led on MX is not going to happen.
    It is possible to have 2 color led with polarity reversal and some of these are available now.