1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

How can the fact that the X-Fi sounds better on HL2 be put down to EAX when HL2 doesn't support EAX or any sound accel?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry, badly worded by myself. :S I meant in general, but it read straight on from the last sentence.

It still sounds better on the X-Fi, I don't know what it does but it just feels more accurate. :blush:

4. Chronic

Chronic What's a Dremel?

Great review but was wondering do you know if this is Compatible with 5.1 Digital Speakers, you do mention something about a Digital out but needs a toshlink adapter never heard of this before so might be very interested if this is Full 5.1 Digital now..

Thanks..

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice and very informative review there Rich.

Will there be any reviews of the Xtreme Audio card (£30 or so)?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The PCI-Express one with no X-Fi processor? Possibly, we can ask.

Chronic: The toslink cables have a square plug, but you need a square to 3.5mm "pointy" adapter. You can buy them from some electronics or A/V shops as well, you don't have to go to Creative. The S/PDIF out supports the same modes as standard analogue out afaik, I've not got digital speakers nor the adapter unfortunately :( I've been meaning to get round to asking someone for a proper amp but we don't do that many soundcard reviews.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Jul 2007
  7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Bought one myself just recently, gotta agree with that statement, it seems all games I play have a big boost in sound quality even if none of the sound settings have changed :D

There's an OEM version going for 75$ at Newegg btw

Although, when I installed my X-Fi drivers, I didn't get the control panel and all.. odd.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

9. DarkLord7854

I guess I'll try installing from CD instead of downloading them

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I like the look of the card and what it has to offer but the software looks far to bloated. My Current Audigy has nothing but the drivers & small control panel. Thats what i want with the X-Fi.

11. DarkLord7854

When installing the drivers you can choose all the different software components you want to add/remove, there's a lot, so you have the choice on what to add/remove :)
    Though honestly, it may seem bloated, but it's had no effect on my boot/load times

Edit: My only complaint bout this card is that it's bringing out the cheapness of my speakers :p

12. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I always wondered why they put those environment effects on, they work well and sound convincing but who wants to listen to music in a sewer pipe?

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Or a cathedral hall? Or inside a trash can? Or through a vocoder?

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

toshlink=toslink?
    are they the same thing, or is one a new version of the other? or maybe a Creative thing?

15. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

"toshlink=toslink?"

exactly what i was wondering!

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Nah it's they hyperbolic equivalent :p

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, it's Toslink :blush:

It's designer was Toshiba, so the association is in my brain :rolleyes:

Wiki is awesome: It's a mini-Toslink jack uses a TRS connector

18. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Arg I was all ready to abandon creative sound cards when it came time for a new one, but this sounds nice to the point that I might have to pick one up whenever I do my Vista+DX10 upgrade.

19. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Did they ever get the linux drivers sorted? I've still get an Xfi collecting dust in my case because of a lack of driver support

20. dom_

dom_ --->

Speakers are analogue.
    A "digital" speaker is an active speaker (one with its own amplifier) that has a dac built in or is a true digital amp (most class d's are not).
    A "proper" amp wont help as a "proper" amp would be i assume a power amp. Which will only have a single analogue input.
    A line stage or pre amplifier allows multiple sources to be used and allows you to adjust gain etc.
    A dac is a digital analogue converter.
    Something with two or more of the above is an intergrated amp.

In the interests of testing audio gear i would hope that you had the above available, as testing with active pc speakers or headphone plugged directly to soundcards can not allow you to assess sound quality. You need something better you need hi-fi components. Not PC components.

Tags: Add Tags