1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Critical Hit: Eight-Legged Menace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 1 Aug 2011.

1. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Same here and some of the high bits of Portal 2 as well.

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Even the sonic the hedgehog ones? I can understand that I suppose.

The sound of bad guys in minecraft really freaks me out, and so does getting lost underground.

3. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

4. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I suppose the fear is rational in the way spiders exist only to sit and wait, paralyse, eat, repeat.

Found this some time back, definitely not one for the arachnophobic.

Loom

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Anything that leaps at my face gets a somewhat negative and/or hostile response. Yes, this includes spiders but is not limited to them.

Headcrabs in HL2 I have a particular hatred for but the one that generates the most extreme response? Facehuggers in AVP *shudder*

One of those things leaps at me and I'm likely to be running backwards screaming "DIE YOU MULTI LEGGED, JUMPING FREAK!" while emptying an entire clip in its direction as well as a couple of grenades and then burning what's left when it stops moving, just to be sure. Then maybe using another grenade. And setting light to it again. And put a couple of AP rounds in it just in case. All of this while staying safely out of pounce range of the disgusting little vermin.

The first time I was gotchered by one of them in AVP2 I ended up flat on my back on the floor as I recolied from the screen so much that the chair went over backwards and me with it. I also damaged the keyboard and ripped the mouse out of the back of the PC (I didn't let go of it as I went over). They absolutely terrify me - face-humping, grotesque things. Which means that I terminate them with EXTREME prejudice and there is definitely no such thing as overkill where these feckers are concerned. When what's left is in bits and mostly ash then it's safe to jump up and down and/or urinate on what's left.

I burn through a lot of ammo when those suckers are around as well as literally being in a nervous sweat, heart pounding etc. :worried:

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

7. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

Sharks! They freak me the hell out. I don't mind playing games with them in it or even watching real ones on the tele. It doesn't keep me from swimming in the ocean. I practically lived out in the open ocean during the summer when I was a kid. However if I see a real shark it makes me cringe and if I am in the water there is a manic dash out of it. I have visited a few aquariums and when the shark swims by in the big tank I have to step away from the glass.

8. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

My son wanted a pet tarantula so I went to the pet shop with him to buy one. They wanted £50 bleedin quid for one. I said "Son, theres no way I'm paying that for one, I'll get you one off the web".

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Playing killzone 2 and stumbling upon the electric spiders out in the desert made me question if it was worth going on :)

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

This lady has it correct on spiders :eeek: :lol:

[​IMG]
    (clicky link)

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I also have arachnophobia, the only spiders i can tolerate are the ones in Minecraft.

12. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

My fear of spiders extends fairly far. The headcrabs in Half-Life were initially a big problem for me, but I managed to just about get used to them enough so that people won't make fun of me while playing Synergy or something.

I second the "NO SPIDERS" button. If something can wink at me with more eyes than I have faces, I'm out.

13. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I get startled fairly easily, but it's all part of the fun. Can't say any game has been scary enough to put me off playing it...apart from Forbidden Siren on the PS2 when I was about 13-14 ish, my brother and I used to dare each other to play it.

14. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

i hate spiders!!!

15. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

I can't stand long and narrow hallways that are pitch black, I usually end up tossing between 5-10 grenades while using a flamethrower to light up the hallway. Though anything that gets up in my face gets a face full of grenades, napalm, and bullets, my favorite dinner combination :p

16. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Headcrabs. +1. Those buggers scared the hell outta me. Especially in HL1. Those Office vents were a living hell. Bear in mind, I'm the oldest of 5 boys, and was the only one 'old' enough to play HL when it first came out, which meant I played, and the other four crowded round watching every second of the first playthrough. That first crabbie in the vents sent all five of us backwards in everywhich direction, and the youngest clean outta the room for 5 mins. Little ****ers...

17. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Dead Space. It's the twitchers. The un-earthly pale skin and the erratic movements combined with going from a safe distance to IN YOUR FACE in a very "wow that's kind of--ASDDFSDFGFDGIKS OMGWTF" manner that makes them scare the pants off me. I recently just played through the first game for the 9th time and have to say that the twitchers were still scary. I love that game.

Dead Space 2 didn't have twitchers, they didn't fit into the story, but the Stalkers went a long way towards making up for it. Had they been more deformed human and less bird, they would have scared me a lot more.

18. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

Sorry to double post, but also -- Amnesia. When the shadow would just appear out of nowhere RIGHT IN YOUR FACE... holy god.

The first time in the piano hall was pretty bad, leaving me to asdfkjWTF. However, the bit with the self-lighting torch...

I almost shat myself.

19. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

You're kidding me, there are teams of modders that remove spiders from games? I had no idea the fear of spiders ran that deep with some people :O

Tags: Add Tags