1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 6 Sep 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I dunno kiy.. I punched a zombie with some brass knuckles and he fell down then his leg came off xD it was absolutely ridiculous!

and there was some chick tied to a bed and I couldn't even untie her.. and some reason your character wakes up a thief going through everyones bags!

anyways.. got it running sweet on ati with aa,vsync at 60 and the goodies up.. put these values in the video.scr.. uninstalling

Code:
    !Resolution(i,i)
    !WindowOffset(i,i)
    !Monitor(i)            // -1 primary monitor
    !BPP(i)
    !FSAA(i)               // Full Screen AntiAliasing, 0 - none, higher is better
    !TexBPP(i)
    !TextureQuality(s)     // VeryLow, Low, High
    !Filtering(s)          // Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic, AnisotropicTrilinear
    !GammaFloat(f)
    !MaxRefresh(i)
    !Shadows(s)            // Low, High
    !ShadowMapSize(i)
    !SpotShadowMapSize(i)
    !Lightmaps()
    !Fullscreen()
    !VSync()               // enable vertical sync
    !MaterialQuality(i)    // lower is better
    !WaterQuality(i)       // lower is better
    !GrassQuality(i)       // lower is better
    !FXQuality(i)          // higher is better
    !FXFadeLevel(i)        // 0-4 (lower is better)
    !EnvQuality(s)         // FullDynamic, RareDynamic, Static
    !ShaderPath(i)         // 0 - 1.1, 1 - 1.4, 2 - 2.0, 3 - 3.0, 4 - x360, 5 - 4.0, 6 - ps3
    !PostProcess(s)        // Simple, Normal
    !DisplayDeviceType(i,f,f,f,f)  //device type (LCD TV etc.): 0 - default
    !Curves(s)             // curves texure

Resolution(1920,1080)
    Monitor(0)
    BPP(24)
    FSAA(1)
    TexBPP(32)
    TextureQuality("High")
    Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
    Fullscreen()
    Shadows("High")
    ShadowMapSize(1024)
    SpotShadowMapSize(1024)
    Lightmaps()
    GammaFloat(1.16)
    MaxRefresh(60)
    MaterialQuality(0)
    PostProcess("Normal")
    FXQuality(3)
    FXFadeLevel(0)
    WaterQuality(0)
    GrassQuality(0)
    EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
    ShaderPath(5)
    DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)
    Curves()
    VSync()

[​IMG]

also a fov fix here (didn't apply it so don't know if it works.. but it's set for consoles)

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/k8xll/dead_island_fov_fix/

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  2. edayghost

edayghost What's a Dremel?

So far im not really sure what I think of this game, my friend persuaded me to get it for co-op but I had serious issues getting the game to start which filled me with rage. The graphics are quite pretty but like others have said the controls are clunky.

Im not sure what the devs were smoking when they decided to make it so that if you have a microphone it always transmits when you speak, this causes irritating issues if you are on a vent/ts with the friends your playing with. There is a weird work around though.

1) plug any jack into one of your pc's other input ports (i used an old pair of headphones)
    2) set that port as the default device and the default communication device
    3) You should now no longer be transmitting twice.

Have to say though co-op is pretty fun running around killing zombies and running stuff over. Its just a bit silly in a sandbox game to have cars that are identical to others but some you can drive and others you cant, or going through an area with loads of huts and you cant get into any of them.

3. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Nope, patience has worn thin.

I'll come back to this when the capable individuals in the modding community have finished the developers work for them.

Tired of having to piss around fixing issues and searching for work arounds for games I've paid to play and enjoy.

I've reached my capacity to be able to appreciate games inspite of the state of brokenness they often arrive in.

If I wanted to spend all blooday day figuring out how to fix god awful bugs and issues I'd have gone in to Q&A testing.

/rant

Edit: Games like Mass Effect being completely unplayable are the sorts of experiences I'm thinking of. Spent the best part of a week trying to figure out how to get the game to run and only ever got it to the main menu. Waiting 4 years before Stalker was properly playable was a joke. Bioshock being left in a state of broken insanity is another example.

I'll be waiting at least a week after release before touching any future PC releases I think.

4. Sharpiemwt

Sharpiemwt What's a Dremel?

I was looking forward to this game but after hearing about these problems, i think ill wait a while.
    Dopefish summed it up in this video how 'polished' this game is. ;)

(Little bit of language in this video, youve been warned.)

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i'll pick it up in a sale when its finished

6. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Played about 2 hours yesterday, didn't encounter any issues other the a couple of places where the on screen controls still had the xbox controls listed which I find a bit slack but game has been fun so far.

7. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Its a rarity for me, but I seriously wish I hadn't blown £40 on this, such a waste of money. I've played it about 20 mins.

I have an Xbox controller but it wasn't plugged into my PC and I was trying to do some of the first level, and despite my Xbox controller being unplugged (and in a different room) the game insisted on giving me key prompts for a Xbox controller, pretty early on theres a door I can't open, it seems I've got to pull the left stick back or something but its really unclear and I refuse to plug my controller in for a first person game like this. Its sloppy, its lazy and its unacceptable. I wish I had cancelled my steam pre-order.

:duh:

8. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I cant play the game anymore. After my first 20 mins friday morning I have been trying to get the game work again all weekend.
    - Start the game, everything is fine.
    - Load screen, no problem.
    - Game starts, Black screen but hear sound.
    - Graphics drivers crash, restart computer.

I have contacted Deep Silver and the first thing they sad is that my graphics card is over heating :duh:
    No its not! Its at 60C with the fan on 50%.
    Then they tell me its probably a multimonitor system which is not supported:duh:
    No its not!

Last time I buy anything from Deep Silver or Techland

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Some pretty shocking issues down in this thread - I'm beginning to wonder if the review is being held up by similar troubles too.

You guys have certainly put me off it for now.

10. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

TBF I played it the entire weekend with nary a problem.

Initially my graphics card did overheat, but a restart of the game seemed to have dropped the drag on it.

Graphics where fine rest of the time, no lag what-so-ever, even with people jumping in for a few minutes then leaving.

Only 2 quests bugged out (1 to burn corpses at lifeguard station, other to initially get inside the church) but restarts sorted that out aswell.

Only 2 major problems I had till yesterday where the vehicle handling (very, VERY clunky) and the fact there was no option to turn mic off or to mute other players.

Then, come last night, graphics problems and lag the entire time... Don't know if they did a patch sometime between MIdnight Sunday and 6pm yesterday, but.. just EUGH...

11. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I've not really had any issues with it tbh. The only things I've had issues with is the auto-equipping of alcohol and a bugged quest that never seems to end.

All in all it's a good game, not had this much fun with a game so hopelessly consolified in a while! :)

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm very unmotivated to play the game. I regret buying it. I don't really enjoy playing it solo and with school I don't have time to play co-op with friends, so they are all higher level and much further into the game. I've got maybe 3-4 hours of play MAX. I just can't get into it solo.

13. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

Some of the comments in this thread have put me off picking this up as well! I'll wait till it gets 'fixed' or is in a sale in the months to come! DEAD cheap lol.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

15. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

The game looks fun but then the amount of problems is quite off putting.

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

finished it last night.. just ran through the game basically missing a lot of it- but the ending doesn't even make sense.. killing hordes of zombies was fun.. it actually has really good lighting and there's quick combos to killing a bunch of them at once (if you dont just ball them up with meat and blow em up)

not as bad as I thought initially.. the later parts of the game are really well done animation wise.. the prison part had me laughing- it's classic prison hierarchy.. you have to protect your ass from crotch lunging

too many zombies really.. you gotta make lots of bombs

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

From reading this thread I am so pleased I got it on 360!! Only really been playing co-op with a couple of friends and it's been a great laugh. Mainly with us being stupid tbf... we have had the framerate go crazy slow a few times and one time last night the entire game crashed and we all had to reboot, but apart from that it hasn't been tooooo bad.

18. Virt

Virt What's a Dremel?

Been playing co-op with my girlfriend. We've had no problem over LAN, but on the first day we tried to join another friend over the internet, we kept getting DC'd. It seemed very unstable.

The only other issue we've encountered is a "double cursor" that appears randomly. It seems to be triggered by using SHIFT+TAB to access Steam's in-game menu.

We're having a blast playing it :)

Edit: Hippoz, isn't that last image a spoiler?

19. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I've just started playing it tonight and haven't decided yet whether or not I like it, love it or am just "Meh!" I may have made a mistake in going blades as I can currently find every blunt implement known to man but not so many of the pointy things and those I have found degrade so fast!

Other than a touch of stutter in the initial cutscene it seems to be quite stable though. I'll see how the multiplayer works out for me when I get round to trying it at the weekend with a mate.