1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2011.

1. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

They get repetitive by about midway through. But they're pretty quick.

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh, God. Quicktime events?

Did they pay you not to mention those?

Aaargh. Aaaaaaaargh!

3. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

They're not QTEs. You walk up to someone and either press the button to stun an enemy or hold it down to kill them. It's completely your choice if and when you use those takedowns.

4. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Eyefinity and variable FOV support out of the box?!! *GLEE!!!!* :D

Now if my pre order doesn't turn up Friday morning it may get a touch messy.

5. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Sounds good... Looking forward to revisiting the franchise... I only just recently completed DE-IW. Luving'it!

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Pre-loaded on Steam. Come Thursday 11:59PM and I'll be spamming the start-game button to get it to unlock.

'Course, then comes the awful wait while it decrypts all the files, but by about 1-2 AM I should have it and be playing. :3

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I enjoyed Invisible War.

I know, shoot me now.

One little part stood out for me that I still remember.

There was a female pop star in the game, and her persona was used as an AI in bars, where people could chat to a hologram of their idol for a few creds.

In real life this woman was really stupid, but her AI versions had a hidden agenda. They had an implanted programme that would pump customers for information on petty crimes so they could be reported to the police.

I just remember it being done really well, where you would have this giggling hologram, but if you asked the right questions it would reveal the cold AI underneath.

She would even offer you a reward to resolve some of these petty crimes, which you could then choose to do in the most violent way imaginable - for example slaughtering everyone in the whole nightclub for which you would then earn a few creds. Very funny

It is the small things you remember. I remember in the first Deus Ex, if you walked in to the ladies toilets then they would scream and run out. I remember that was a very clever attention to detail.

9. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Saying you don't like the 3 second animation of Jenson taking out a guy is like saying you don't like jumping the gaps in Mario. It's not about taking him out, it's about how you got to that point and what you do after, did you get spotted, can you hide the body, where you go from that point and how you got there.

10. Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect What's a Dremel?

Yep. Don't ask me why, but one hit in the small of the back with the baton will take them down immediately(assuming they are not aware of your presence). This is only really possible while crouching, since it puts JC at the right height, so you do have to take into account how slowly you move when crouching. I actually run the first few mission with that method. First play through I just assumed the NSF where a bunch of terrorists(like UNATCO tells you) and took them out. Latter it turns out that they're actually fighting the corruption and Paul is on their side, so I felt kind of bad about killing them and they've gotten nonlethal takedowns every play since.

Of course, if that gets tedious, you can always do the ol' Cap N Zap. :D If you shoot a guy two(maybe it's three?) times in the chest with a 10mm, they will drop their weapons and spend the rest of the game just running around scared witless. At that point you can just walk up to them, zap them once with the cattle prod, and they're unconscious on the ground! All of the ease and satisfaction of capping a fool, yet with all of the compassionate humanitarianism of a nonlethal take down. :cooldude:

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Aug 2011
  11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Okay, serious question, don't go mental people. I just started Alpha Protocol last night, I feel I should finish it before I start Deux Ex which I think its similar but much better. How long is it roughly and is it worth it? I don't want to start DE:HR and then try and play AP as it will probably come off poorly.

For the record I just finished the training mission and I think the game looks fun.

12. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tip -- but please go back and delete the massive spoiler!! I'm sure there will be some folk on the forum who aren't yet as intimately familiar with the original game as we are.

13. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I'm hooked..it's immense...

14. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

hooked, been playing it it on the hardest difficulty, non-lethal only. Pretty hard at the beggining with no stealth augs

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

What are the system requirements?

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Minimum PC Specs:

* OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 with DirectX 9.0c
    * PROCESSOR: 2 GHz dual core
    * RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 2 GB (Windows Vista and Windows 7)
    * GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 8000 series or ATI Radeon HD 2000 series or better
    * REQUIRED DISC SPACE: 8.5 GB

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Recommended PC Specs:

* PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom II X4 or Intel Core 2 Quad or better
    * RAM: 2 GB
    * GRAPHICS: AMD Radeon HD 5850
    * REQUIRED DISC SPACE: 8.5 GB

Remember, Google shall guide thee.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

A much more important question which will be relevant to most, what graphics card do we need to play it at 1920x1080 with all the eye candy and still maintain good FPS?

18. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

They need a Max Setting requirement really.

I suspect a 5870 would be sufficient (purely going by the recommended specs).

Think of this game as being as demanding as The Witcher 2, and I reckon you will be on the right course.

19. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Am I the only one who has read this review and is wondering why the reviewer has not mentioned what graphics options are available? How the adjustable FOV looks? What kind of performance (FPS etc) was seen and on what spec of PC? If the game allows the controls to be re-mapped? Has the game been altered enough so that it's not just a lazy console port?

Considering all the fanfare on the official dues ex forums about the various concerns PC gamers had, including Golden highlights, FOV etc I can’t help feeling this review is a tad lacking on that kind of detail :/

Last edited: 24 Aug 2011
  20. Carl Marten

Carl Marten Forget Dremels, buy angle grinders.

Am I the only one that thinks releasing a game at different times by reigon is insane in the digital realm?

I pre-order a few months back on steam and if I wasn't determined to finish witcher 2 I would be either torrenting or spoofing my ip addresses to play the game now.

Tags: Add Tags