1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 2 Aug 2010.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Iron Maiden was a melee damage return, right?

The game was just as much about spells and ranged combat as it was about melee combat.

On higher difficulties, it is almost certainly designed to prevent solo'ing.

There are physical immune and magic immune and individual element immune monsters all over the place. You couldn't fight your way through without a mixed group of characters. You needed casters and rangers and tanks. You needed physical damage, fire damage, lightning damage, ice damage, and magic damage.

Doing Hell Baal runs, even with my level 87 barb who was nasty, sometimes there were spawns at the throne that I just couldn't fight, and I'd have to hang back and let a caster deal with them.

2. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

And you didn't find it annoying? I understand the reasoning behind it, but I just didn't like it.

Maybe you could call it an oppurtunity for employing some sort of tactics. But its not like the mechanic was adding to a plethora of other tactical decisions.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Ah, just found a sentimental screenshot in my photobucket when looking for another picture

[​IMG]

4. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Iron Maiden needed no employing of new tactics, but other characters. Iron Maiden meant insta-death for melee fighters. Mainly it ment that if you wanted to play as a barb your life was arguably easy all the time, but you could not do Diablo runs. Period. Iron Maiden was a part of what made the game different to the easy grind you get nowadays. Sure D2 was the same runs over and over all the time, but on hell you had to focus always. Iron Maiden was a mechanic that made the game HARD.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

pre-ordered!

6. Parge

It seems we might have:

a) a release date (1st of Feb)
    b) the fact that it is also confirmed for consoles

Some comments suggesting that its unlikely, but info like that seems pretty reliable to me.

7. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

:wallbash:

As blizzard themselves (Bashiok) said shortly after this picture went viral; ''..they are just guessing..''

This kind of thing has been on-going, heavily, for the past 6 months and even before that. Best Buy, like many other stores, wants to get as many of the pre-orders as possible so it does random **** like this as a publicity stunt to make people run down to the store and put some cash down.

Blizzard always announce a release date 2 months in advance and obviously Feb 1st isn't going to happen. End of March is my guess but that's all anyone has - guesses.

8. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

For me Diablo 3 is THE one and only game I want to play. I've been waiting nearly 10 years for it and it's almost here. I cannot wait.

Diablo 2 is my favourite game of all time. As others have said it was laggy, buggy, horribly balanced online but it was so awesome at the same time.

On the subject of Iron Maiden. It wasn't fun. The nature of the spell meant it was often instadeath. My WW barb had serious difficulty with it. When I had around 4k health and my hits were landing for 8000ish damage I could literally die with no means of surviving in a single hit. I had to resort to the 1 point wonder that was Frenzy (it may have been berserk) that converted your physical damage into magic damage thus rendering Iron Maiden harmless. Even so it wasn't fun doing hell Chaos Sanctuary with a level 1 skill that had no AoE ability.

I argue that Iron Maiden didn't actually make the game hard. Resistances, damage immune monsters and other stuff made it hard. Iron Maiden was just frustrating. If it did something like amplify damage where you took more damage while it was on you fair enough. Instagibbing a player with an instant cast damage reflect is just lame.

I'm kinda psyched for D3 on consoles actually provided they remain separated. I'll play it on PC for sure but I may dabble with it on console as well. I like the idea of D3 on my 40" TV, lying on my bed smashing monsters. I sadly can't do that on my PC due to space limitations. I do though prefer mouse + keyboard.

Bring it on is all I can say really. My bet is sometime around April/May for a release.

9. lava

lava Minimodder

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

1st of Feb is a joke. No marketing, no official release and 20 DAYS BEFORE LAUNCH? Not a chance.

11. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

12. Digi

Same old, same old. Let's just wait for official statements tbh. On other notes I just ran through D2 once more over the weekend with a friend, still unbeatable monster-bashing fun.

13. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Can't believe this thread only has 2 pages!

14. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Vapourware until proven otherwise...

15. Digi

I made another thread about the beta that ran to more pages, for some reason this seems to have superseded it. I guess when the game drops this is gonna fill up faster than monica lewinsky. Damn, I went there. :blah:

16. monografias

monografias What's a Dremel?

I read that today Amazon Italy announced Diablo 3 to April 17th. It also has divulged a price: 49,90 euro. Unfortunately here in Brazil it certainly will arrive later and much more expensive.

17. Parge

I pre ordered it on Amazon about 15 months ago for £21. If there is a game you know you definitely want that is on the horizon, then its definitely worth heading to Amazon.

Still, with games like this, you are going to spend so much time on them, that it doesn't matter what the up front cost is.

18. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger What's a Dremel?

I held off from buying D2 for ages as I thought, "A game like that from Blizzard must be a subscription to play game"

Oh how wrong I was!

19. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

My friend has the beta and let me play on his account, I could only play for like 2 hours in total due to graphics card issues, but I was impressed.
    It looks much better than in the videos on Youtube, and more importantly it plays well, simple and fun, just how a dungeon crawler should be.
    Looks like Blizzard will have another hit game coming up (do they ever create crap ones? lol). I can't say if D3 will live up to the crazy hype surrounding the game, but from what i've played it is definitely going to try

20. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

I have the beta also and I am enjoying it so much leveled all characters to 13 (max) now I must say Witch doctor is where it's at :)