1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dirt Rally Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 15 Dec 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm sure I found a 'free play' option that let me cra.. Drive any car in the game.

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Too bad the game does not offer any local multiplayer option like Dirt 3.

4. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Dirt Rally is the best racing game I've played this year. It feels very much like going back to a Colin Mcrae game but one that really punishes you for crashing or going off track. Also the tracks seem much narrower than other rally games but its so rewarding just to finish even if your in 5th place you will be happy to cross the line with an intact car.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Sounds great. I loved the original McRae games way more than the newer ones.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I think the game is slightly higher than 85%, its more like 95%.

game is so good I called up the code masters reception and asked the reception to pass on my complete thanks,

back of the car is not rendered in VR is my only negative,

just amazing game and clearly illustrates even if you are a handy driver, you wont be in dirt rally, I am still trying to drive nicely in it after 10+ hours

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

This is where I miss demos... So I can try a game before spending/wasting my money.

Driving games in particular seem to be so hit or miss depending on the perspective of the player. For example, when 'Driving Game A' is reviewed I read a lot of comments from those that have played it upon release and usually there plenty of positive comments (unless the game completely sucks of course).
    However, when 'Driving Game B' is reviewed and someone comments negatively about 'Driving Game A' I have seen a whole slew of negative comments about 'Driving Game A' follow...

I guess what I am saying is that you really have to try these games for yourself and make your own mind up as you just can't take it for granted that you will agree with either a review or the comments of others...

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

How does this compare in difficulty to RBR?

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Similar imo, if the beta was anything to go by (I've yet to fire up the released version).

I love this game, absolutely fantastic return to form form the series - think Dirt1 with longer stages. :D

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Buy it on steam, play it for less than two hours, request a refund if you don't like it. Simple.

11. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

"None of [the Dirt games] could be considered bad games per se." I would argue that Dirt Showdown is a terrible, terrible game.

Anyhow, this game is absolutely exceptional and I love it to death. Makes Dirt 3 look like Need For Speed.

12. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

Actually, history has shown that demos are pretty bad for business.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

So yeah, take advantage of Steam's two-hour refund policy. After an hour, you'll have more than a good enough idea of what the game's about and whether or not it's your flavor. DEFINITELY a sim racer, not even slightly arcade.

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That sounds promising. I didn't find any of the Colin McRae games anywhere near as challenging as RBR (the physics/handling in RBR was brutal but excellent) but it sounds like a step in the right direction.

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

That video is long, tedious and thoroughly biased towards the money grabbing nature of poor developers, it also doesn't cover a multitude of 'player' perspectives based on the nature of demos. If you followed through the exact same argument for a different industry you would be saying that movies shouldn't have trailers...

Anyway, I have to admit that I wasn't aware of Steam's '2 hour' policy... Is that new?

15. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

16. flamin9_t00l

flamin9_t00l 1,000,000,000,000 Bytes Free!

The realism of this game is second to none. I love to play with in-car view only with no HUD and manual gears... just you and the co-driver (although if your concentration drops and you miss a note you will crash at some point), it's great fun and as real as it gets imo. It's hard work tho, tiring work keeping it on the track whilst trying to finish in a decent position... you certainly have to push it.

Tried an old FF steering wheel with it aswell (Logitech Formula Force GP) and until a recent update didn't work well. Now you can completely configure almost any wheel in the Advanced settings... took a bit fiddling with sliders etc but works great now. Definately more fun than playing with a 360 pad but I cannot get the times I can with the pad.

If you're a racing fan this is the best there is other than Assetto imo although entirely different type of racing of course (it's just one of my other favs thats all).

17. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

Had this since Codies surprised us with the early access, if you like rally games this is a no brainer purchase. Good fun and well executed. I still spend more time in Asseto Corsa, but I really enjoy it. The best rally game in a long time.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Still disappointed they didn't add more world rally stages. They got Finland/Sweden in and that was it. So there are, what, 3/5 in the snow in addition to Monte Carlo?

Go all the way back to RalliSport Challenge series and they had many more.

Did the menu and upgrade system change significantly since 0.7? It was typically atrocious of Dirt games at that point. I haven't been back.

19. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

Minor changes to the menu system to make it mouse friendly, the upgrade system hasn't really changed that I'm aware of.

20. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

It's nice to play Oculus DK2 but the design team know nothing about making VR menus. Unbelievable that such a simple concept is beyond many design teams. The menu doesn't allow head-tracking and is over-sized on oculus.

Tags: Add Tags