1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY CPU & GPU waterblocks

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Kostas1232, 24 Jun 2019.

1. Kostas1232

Kostas1232 What's a Dremel?

In past weeks my attention was grabbed by water cooling stuff – all that pumps, water blocks, tubings and etc. And I decided to get water loop by myself – but the price of it... I have i5-2500K and Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580GB and there ain't many options for GPU – I've only found a one from Bykski for 110$ (GPU cost me 150$ – in my opinion, it's kind of overkill there). So after some time in web, I decided to save some money and make my very own water block for GPU and, to match the style of the loop, do water block for CPU by myself also. So, men & women of the forum, what do you think about this crazy idea, what are your suggestions for it?

P.S. I'm from Eastern Europe – and I am terribly sorry for my English (using Grammarly to reduce spelling mistakes but that's not enough)
    P.P.S. I'm also new to bit-tech forums – so feel free to teach me how to be there.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Welcome! Just be yourself. :thumb:

Practice the cold plate on something cheap like aluminium, before doing it for real on copper. Much cheaper to try different ideas and make mistakes on. Just remember that aluminium is a lot softer than copper, so you'll need to adjust/slow down the cutting for the real thing.

Alternatively, you could find a cheap block on eBay just for the core, like this gpu one and this cpu one. On the gpu you could then add some little heatsinks like these to the ram and vrm

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I got hired to model a GPU block once. The first thing I did was mill a test fit in cheap plastic.
    I did my last block using copper heatsinks, 3mm plate and silver solder to save money. I had to fix the warp in the plate after soldering.
    Getting a gpu core only block works too.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I would look into buying a used card with a block and selling your current card.