1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Doom 3 - Trailers don't do it justice

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Abadon, 1 Aug 2004.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

of course the ai is crap, you're fighting zombies, they're supposed to be retarded :p

2. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

Even the demons. The game talks about their high intelligence and cooperative attacks. Which is little more then every single enemy on the screen(as many as four at a time!) running at you. I'm going to try nightmare and see if that has any effect or if it just means the enemies take more bullets before going down.

3. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

http://www.burnoutpc.com/images/news/ULTRASETTING.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the game in Ultra high quality, dun know why i have those sharp edges but there are less in the game playing then in the screenshot :S, or i just dun look at them really, prolly some setting such as AA or something, dunno.

specs:

2.8 @ 4ghz northwood ( vapo LS cooled )
    ati radeon 9800xt ( Stock speed )
    Geil PC3500 Running slower than they should, due to some experimenting to get the highest MHZ out of the cpu.
    Albatron PX875pro

IT takes a hell a lot longer to load, the game runs smooth but the loading makes it slower.

Anywho im back to high quality, it runs better cuz the loading doesn't interfere as much as it does to the Ultra high quality.

4. katarsis

katarsis What's a Dremel?

super game!!!!!!!
    if u sit one and play in D3 with good sound, your nervs will not stend by and 30 minuts.. pocket flashlight is the veru chiters weapon - 2 striks and monster will gaum in floor, marry into. =))))

wuh...7 min on this post

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

What other proof do u want :S pff. im no person whos gonna lie for over some game.

tell me how your convinced eh, u want a video taken with my cam showing the ingame :S

7. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

it's like 1:30 here, and damn it's dark here. im sweating like hell, too bad all of those games are created with dark levels, i hate fricking dark levels, why not the sun in your face, or normal lighting, which is way more fun imho, but removes the spookyness.

8. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

1 word

SCARY! :eeek:

:D

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

jpg compresses the image and so doesnt really show how much better ultra quality is, should've saved as png-24 :D

10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

ID software is a small team of programmers who have made some of THE BEST first person shooters around. Doom 1, without a doubt the biggest 1st person shooter ever. Doom 2, just a follow up. Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3- the game that set standards for a long time. Hexen, Hexen 2, maybe not as big but still big games. There are only 3 games that even come close to what ID has done, Unreal Tournament, and quite honestly UT2K3 and 2K4 are no where near as big as the original, and Half-life and the currently unreleased HL2. You might also look at Duke Nukem, a cheap Doom knock-off, and Duke Nukem Forever (forever unreleased...).

ID does indeed make 3D engines, the best 3D engines around. The D3 engine can run on some older hard-ware, lets face it if we had to have Athlon 64s and X800s to not get a slide show D3 sales would suffer. So there is a low quality which I might actually be able to play. :) Yet I'd almost bet that the Ultra mode of D3 will become a benchmarking standard for a long time.

AI- I cant say much about the AI as I haven't played the game, but based on the AI in previous ID games I'd expect it be quite good. But there is one problem- it is FAKE intelligence, thats nothing something any old PC (ie: very fast calculator) can do very well and still provide life-like graphics and good sound.

Multi-player, it's already been said that if you try to play D3 in multi-player ID limits you to 4 players max, because it just needs more power. I'll agree ID should have added more models, and I'd almost bet ID will either release more models, or release tools to make models. But consider how much work went into the standard D3 models, and I personally don't blame ID for deciding 1 model was good enough for a already un-playable(do to lack of power) multi-player mode...

L J

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, just reading the texture details and sizes and compression settings (or lack of them) for ultra settings and seeing the pics is enough :);)

I agree with Fronzel that the game is just an advert for an engine lisence, and what really do you expect from another Doom game? As long as its gorey and scary and uber violent ill be happy :):) Cant wait till next week :blush:

Whatever happened to the hexen series?

12. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

*cough*

[​IMG]

:worried:

13. ModKid

ModKid What's a Dremel?

the AI is somewhat ermm stupid but the sounds of those monsters kinda give you the spooks to like walk around like you have **** in your underpants. :hehe:

If you watch closely, and you walk towards an object, you can really see how ID has made their 3dengine, the detail goes fugly when you walk towards something like a wall or something, just big ass blocks no reality.

oh well, still the game looks nice though.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you playing in anything less than high/ultra? Then youll suffer quality compression. Also, unless you fancy building a system with multi-terrabyte uber uber fast ram and a similar sized uber fast gfx card and cpu, EVERY GAME will suffer the problem of finite texture sizes. To get absolute, real world detail is incredibly difficult and needs huge quantites of space and rendering power - a physical impossibility at todays current technology levels.
    Also, there's no point in making tons of tiny mipmap levels when you get really close up to it - its a waste of time and adds more complexity and lag to the engine. Rarely will you want to go so close to a wall or random stuff. They will more than likely concentrate on things like control panels or buttons more which you will look at closely.

NB: I nicked most of this answer off another forums in another doom 3 thread bigz posted :D

Also, you might wanna whack up your AF level which should make it look better.

15. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

Reserved the game at ebgames. Got it the 2nd on a night dropped and from what ive played so far i realy like it. Sound and detail are very very nice. However the only thing ive found im not excited about is my 2.5 amd 1 gig ram and fx 5600 ultra hardly runs fast on medium quality. And the other being EVERY FU***N ROOM IS ALMOST BLACK! Therfore out of nowhere here comes comes two-three zombies beating the hell out of you while you get a big red splat on the screen preventing you from getting a accurate shot back at them. But other then that play it in the dark, turn up the 5.1 and rock you will be terrified :thumb:

bottom line: worth getting for d**n sure

16. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

it works on a mx440!!! except i have to turn everything off to get decent fps.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i disagree, its very pretty, but its so repetitive and its boring
    its just a case of, walk down corridor, shoot the huge monster that jumps out at you, turn around and shoot the huge monster that just jumped out of the room your just cleared :wallbash:, repeatX9999999999

there are a few things that are really annoying as well, the overuse of darknes (some areas are ridiculous you have to spot hte enemy with a flashlight then switch to weapon and shoot in thegeneral direction until you've hit it and then switch back, why the **** cant he stick the flashlight to the gun, or have an armour/head mounted light?)
    the torch doesnt seem to reflect off the walls
    and its far far far too repetitive

18. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I'm a bit disappointed that the flashlight doesn't light up smoke. Maybe I'm asking a bit much there, I dunno.

Well, not in the screenshots I saw...

:eek:

19. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

I have to agree a little it is kinda repetitive. at least so far but then again ive only just entered the Alpha labs so it may get better. It needs some plot twists or something to keep me interested. :worried:

20. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the flashlight lights up spider webs.... :worried:

i've just left the alpha labs, alpha labs 1-4 are almost exactly the same :p

Tags: