1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Elite Dangerous Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 22 Dec 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Thanks for the review. This is the number one game on my must-have list after I upgrade my PC ... tomorrow ... omg!

3. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Been playing the game since Beta. While I'm totally biased, pro Elite, and it's *my* ideal game right now, it's not finished, is flawed in may respects. How you can give 94% to a game that's not really finished yet is amazing to me.

mr forum_user, are you sure you need to upgrade to play it? I'm on a 3 year old 2600k rig with a 750ti, runs perfectly.....when it runs....

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It doesn't run on my dual Opteron 250 with ATi Radeon 1650XT...

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm curious about the lack offline mode. Does this mean I can't just save the game and carry on from where I left off, the next time I log on?

6. Mick@Scan

Mick@Scan Technical & Returns

I am guessing your save file is located on the servers, when you save and exit the game you start from where you left off.

You can select solo play game and you won't get hassle from any players. You can change from solo to open mode at any time, so for instance if you want to get to grips with the game without being shot at by players then select solo play, once you have a better ship and weapons you can then jump into open play with other players.

Or you can create an instance with just your friends, so it's like solo in the respect you don't come across other players apart from the people in your group.

Each time your ship, credits and progress are saved, so if you lose your ship in open play, you lose it in solo and vice versa.

Hope that helps.

7. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Except that your "save file" exists in a perpetual world that continues without you...so YOU may continue where you left off, but if you've saved your game and then disappeared on holiday for a week your missions will have expired and the value of the goods in your hull may have diminished because the real-time economy continued without you.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, that's cleared up a lot. Thank you. :thumb:

9. Mick@Scan

Mick@Scan Technical & Returns

Yes that is true, however most basic missions only give you a finite amount of time to complete anyway so I do not feel that is a big problem for new players, just ensure you tie up any loose ends before logging off for more than a few days.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

disappointed with the `support` from them - pre ordered the `upgrade` edition , and its not been shipped AND they have changed the details about the product on the website - I cant download it on the target pc as they have download cap , and suddenly the `upgrade` needs an account already!

not happy - that and they haven't replied to a support ticket nor a support email since day 0 of launch

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Do you play it on maximum GFX settings?

I didn't say I needed to upgrade to play it - I am saving the experience for my new rig which includes a resolution of 2560x1440 144mhz monitor, which I would like to feed with maximum FPS.

And maybe they will have patched a few more bugs before I get my new rig built :thumb:

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Have to agree with this. ED as it stands today is the basic framework for the game, with the majority of content coming post-launch sometime in the future. Right now, once you've done some trading, exploring and shooting you're out of things to do - the meta is missing, basically.

It's a sterile universe as well. Partly due to the size (therefore running in to a human is rare), but mainly due to the lack of...anything. Where are the massive AI battles that were mentioned? The conflict between factions?

94%? No way. 80% for me, with a hopefully higher score to come.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've been having a blast with it since the premium beta; if you're a fan of the earlier Elite games or space sims in general then you're in for a good time.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

What? Just download the client and login?

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Offline mode was cancelled as the developers felt that without the constantly evolving universe that is populated by players that the game would end up being largely empty.

See the recent Click on Iplayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04wq7g6/click-20122014

Elite stuff is from 14 minutes in and the reason for no offline is from 16 mins in.

----

Also there is a typo on page 2, paragraph 1. "Thrusters roar into live" Should that not be life?

Last edited: 22 Dec 2014
  16. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Absolute blast and looks amazing with the Oculus Rift DK2 I have.

So happy for having the next two weeks off work :D

And I like the "online" feature. Because depending what online players do, even on "off line" mode, they still affect the world economy, politics. Is not AI scripted like X series where you can take over the whole system.
    Even on offline mode you compete against other players, not AI (ofc you cannot interact with them directly), and their actions affect your "instance".

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thanks a lot, Rick. There's my steam sale budget blown thanks to your romantic conclusion that just awakened my inner Kirk.

If you need me I will be punching in my debit card details into Frontier's webpage...

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

cant its above my dad`s download cap , hence why I bought for him the upgrade version.

19. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Can I ask if you see your DK2 display with Elite as still heavily pixelated? I have DK1 and the tech impressed me and the very heavy pixelation was horrible. With DK2 I am still hugely impressed with the tech and pleased to see far less pixelation, but it is still way too distracting to use apart from to show mates how cool the tech is.

Might I have set it up wrong? Or do you still see it very pixelated?

20. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

1080p, everything on High. It's all good. I've tried it with everything on ultra and didn't really gain much visually, but things did slow down a little. I think the objective of Frontier was to not require the latest greatest everything to run it. It may be optimised for quad cores, but it only uses about 25% cpu across the board.

I have got lazy now, though, and just used the nvidia geforce experience widget, which switches on everything at high or ultra. Not bad for a £100 gpu....

Tags: Add Tags