1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Erratic frame rate with a GTX570 [ UPDATE IN FIRST POST ]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knuck, 3 Apr 2011.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yeah that card needs to go back by the sound of it. maybe ask for a nonreference design such as the MSI lightening or Asus Direct CU, stock PCB 570's are known for a few issues including VRM's popping!

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

The non reference models are fugly as hell. It seems like the card is stuck in 2d mode but the clocks are always okay. It's really weird.

3. [PUNK] crompers

Lol if you're getting a fractal R3 you wont be able to see it! MSI lightening much better looking than reference model imho

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

huh... no, I don't agree, I think it looks like a cheap POS

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

It's only an opinion, not a fact.

6. [PUNK] crompers

and a humble one at that

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'm losing faith in nVidia cards at the moment. I recently bought the 570 Direct Cu one, and it seems not to like AA. Whenever i turn AA up past x4, the system crashes and dumps me back into windows.

Reason i mention it though, the Direct Cu cooler is awesome. If you were bothered about your 570 being noisier than your 260, get one of these.

Alternatively, the Gainward Phantom 570 looks like an excellent card. (That was my first choice, but scan were sold out when i went.)

[PUNK] crompers likes this.
  8. [PUNK] crompers

he hates none ref cards, they are a cheap POS. he just loves that reference heatsink with its sleek lines and shiny black plastic, mmmmm.

9. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Mmmmm......... It's the motherboard I think mate. Any way to test the card in someone elses rig?

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Exactly (except I said they look like cheap POS. I can't say they are since, apparently, they do work well). Noise isn't a problem for me. My 570 is actually quieter than my 260 and, still, the 260 never bothered me. Whenever I game I use earphones (Razer Moray+) so I just can't hear the PC at all. As for the idle noise of the card(s), it's not a problem either since my 4 HDDs are louder

my 260 works perfectly fine and so does everything else on the board. It's been flawless since I bought it. I did test the 570 in another PC but I didn't have enough time to come to a conclusion. Anyways, I started the RMA procedure last night and I am waiting for an answer from NCIX. At least I still have my 260 so I can't still play games... but holy crap is it slow compared to the 570 :hehe:

11. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

I really would see if you can replicate the issue in another PC. All kinds of funny little niggles can be caused by new and much more powerful GPUs being introduced to a system. If you cannot for the life of you get the same issues to occur again in a different rig it very much changes things.

Im not saying one way or the other if it's the graphics card or another part of your system at fault, but in fault finding a problem it's useful to look at many different options. A long time ago I did hear of people having 4870X2s cause issues, initially blamed on the card but later turning out to be unstable CPU overclocks or old BIOSs at fault. A greatly more powerful graphics card in these cases pushed systems alot harder than the old ietms they replaced and exposed some system flakiness that otherwise wasn't visible.

Happy hunting!

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I completely agree but the problem is I would need to use someone else's PC for days or even weeks before I could come to a conclusion, so that is just not an option. I did pay for express RMA so I should get a new card before friday if everything goes according to plan

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

-RMA'ed
    -cross shipment
    -can't wait to see if it works. Also can't wait to get be able to play BC2 correctly again. Now that I am back with my 260, it feels so freaking sluggish all the time, especially in smokes :hehe:

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

confirmed; it's not the video card.

Will now diagnose the board. God damn it

15. [PUNK] crompers

ah unlucky, dont suppose it could be a chipset driver issue?

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

could be, I guess. I'm working on that right now. I just tested in another PCI-e port and I get the exact same framerate issue

At least the new card's sticker is perfectly applied and there are no bubbles underneath it :D

hey, gotta find something positive somewhere, right ? ;)

EDIT:

see update in first post

Last edited: 27 Apr 2011
  17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Have you updated your MB Bios ?

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yes I did. No change

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have gotten help from hardocp forums and, apparently, it's a bug between 120hz monitors and the GTX580/570 series

unbelievable

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

:wallbash: