1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News F.E.A.R. Multiplayer Demo R.E.L.E.A.S.E.D.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Sep 2005.

1. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

:waah: When I Click "find severs" no severs come up and it says error in the bottom left of the sever box :waah: . Any idea why? I got my firewall (symantic client firewall) all set up correctly, though I didnt install gamespy... is that bad?

EDIT: Un installed and re installed with Game spy, but still no luck.....

-Fr4nk

Last edited: 30 Sep 2005
  2. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

What settings are you guys playing on? I have to set things on low/medium and use 800x600 do get 30ish frames per second

3. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I cant install it because of a file that it cant overwrite! and somehow I cant erase it because I am not allowed to go into my documents and setting folder :S even though I got admin rights!

Last edited: 1 Oct 2005
  4. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

i dunno guys. this game is freaking amazing. i wish there were some more weapons (like 20 more lol) and some different maps, the one CTF map is so easy to cap the flag on :(

i end up with like 500 points at the end of the round every time. just holster your gun and take the "top route" to the flag, i guarantee if you scoop the armor and nades you cap the flag at least 3 out of 5 tries :sigh:

and the TDM map is alot of fun, i like the 'super' weapons placed in the map, i just wish there were more guns to play with :p: or maybe some more game types, like last man standing - lol - how about instagib anyone?

i know its just the demo, but these are things im hoping for in the final release. the game is so much fun as it is. if they allow mods to be made, this game can (and most likely will) go very far.

now i need to buy a new motherboard, processor, ram, and powersupply to get more than 800x600 and medium graphics :wallbash: tell you what tho, the graphics are still really good for basically LOW settings :)

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Its good, graphics are very tasty but im not that impressed tho... if im going to be realistic about it. The gameplay is a bit klunky and to be blunt its just your average FPS game so far.

Il give a bit longer tho as it may be a grower...

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

It got 90% in Zone and 89% in Gamer - both say it's almost as good as HL2.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I'd have to agree with that one. If this MP demo is anything to go by, then the game will be :jawdrop:

My favourite weapon has to be the Repeating Cannon :naughty:

8. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

cant say i was overly impressed, i agree with fibre that it all seems fairly standard... I haven't tried the single player but based on this i would not buy it, and having recently (last week) played HL2 all the way through i don't see how this "average" game will match it :p

(Even gfx wise i think HL2 looks much nicer on my system! (venice 3000 @ 2700, 1GB mushkin redline, 6600GT etc...))

9. EVILfreak

EVILfreak What's a Dremel?

Anyone know if this game dose infact support Dual-core CPUs? I do hope so :sigh:

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I unwittingly hosted a game over the internet :) I didn't realise until people started popping up. I thought they were bots at first.. until I saw they had pings :)

11. XUntitled

XUntitled What's a Dremel?

For you guys that are getting the error "memory can not be 'read'" heres how I fixed it, every time you go to start the game first go to the install folder (default is C:\Program Files\Sierra\FEAR MP Demo). Right click, properties, and uncheck "Read Only". Hit apply. The game should run fine...

If I do this I never get the error. If I don't, the game crashes in less then a minute of play. I have NO CLUE why. I've never encountered anything like this problem with any other game (not even the beta multi...). so, I give a /shrug. But that fixes it.

PS: The game is ok. Elimination stinks imo. CTF is cool. DM/TDM... I don't know. It seems like HL2 DM (- the gravity gun/effects but +slow mo). Basically, who ever sees the other person first is the one that gets the kill. But its still fun. I'm just not sure how long it will be fun after the game really comes out.

12. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

This game is freaking amazing, but there are a few hitches with it. The first problem is that people can do one hit kills with an unarmed attack (VERY annoying since you usually run into your oponent and they can just kick you, i of course never do this because its lame). Secondly, you do die VERY quickly, which is a good/bad thing, i guess its just a little differnt from the FPS's i'm used too.

The only other problem i noticed is that if you have enough health packs you can mow through 3-6 people easilly by just holding fire and keep pressing Z (or whatever your medkit key is).

The good thing about it is that the game is VERY fast, it requires ALOT of skill, all the weapons shoot and feel different, you can die very quickly if you suck and the levels are designed amazingly. There literally isnt one spot you can sit and snipe out people without having a part of your body exposed to be shot at.

The team deathmatch is one of the best TDM games i've ever played. There's arrows that point towards your teammates, and little icons that flash if there in trouble (You can call out for teammates help using hotkeys or by speaking into a mic). But it can be very hard to tell your teammates apart. Again, it takes alot of skill to play.

I hope they add a mode in where there are two teams set up, and you can only die once. Whoever's team is left standing wins, like CounterStrike or Gunz.

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Ok so its growing on me a bit more, its still think its a pretty standard FPS game but its at the higher end of things.

I actually had a couple of really good rounds yesterday and ive improved a bit as im coming top 3 pretty much every round... then when I played it toady I noticed a new trend in this game, its something we all hate, SPAWN CAMPING!! Atleast half the people on the server were spawn camping, they sit there kill a few people then collect there health packsple, its a very effective way of getting kills but its bloody lame!!

A few other gripes, the movement needs more feeling to it, I sure everyones bored of people saying 'it doesnt feel like cs' but its true, its the benchmark for modern day shooters. Anyone whos played it long enough will know the feeling, you can actually tell where you bullets are going and the character seem to move better, I dunno how to explain it but you get a better sense of movement.

Like a few other people said... unarmed attack or whatever it is, its pretty lame, one hit on someone and there dead and what makes it worse is you can barely hear footsteps so your forever 180'ing to see if anyones there.

Also the medipacks are a bit lame, you just stock them up and tap the key to heal yourself and you can go through about 3 - 5 people with not much hassle.

Its a good game but il wait and see what changes are made before i consider buying it.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FFS i was trying to find that key! :grr:

I like it, but only because i turned the settings up to uber-max which means the game looks nuts :D No soft shadows though, which is a little crap and it only offers a top res of 1024 for my 1280 tft :(

edit: yea soft shadows but a lot of strong lighting.

It's kinda BS at times - i impale some sod 2-4 times with a shotgun and take less than half a dozen shots from his pissy gun in the same time, yet I always die. FS.

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Oct 2005
  15. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

FS? FoShizzle?

heh.. It's a good game single player demo. Can't wait to try this in person.

Why the BSin about campers... all online FPS's have campers... It's part of online life.

16. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I think the multiplayer demo is just..different than any other FPS. You can die really quickly if you dont know what the hell your doing. If you do, you have alot more chances to win. You need really quick reactions and a good team (if your playing Team deathmatch) and you have to know all the moves you can do (slide, jump/kick, punch), not to mention you need to know the layout of the map and where all the special weapons and armor are.

Personally i think the deathmatch is pretty lame due to the fact that you -can- die so quickly, even if you know what your doing. Team deathmatches require more skill i think. If a few things were fixed, like the one hit kill kicks, it would be one of the best online First Person Shooters out right now.

Oh, and about the weapons. I think most of the weapons are pretty much different, your gonna get mowed down if your using double pistols against a guy with a rocket launcher. Not to mention that each weapon is good for different gameplay, aka shotguns and uzi's are used for close range combat. The rifles and nail guns (forgot what there called) are great for medium range combat. While the other heavy weapons are great from far away combat.

I just hope for more gameplay modes and ways of picking what you want for your server (More life, limiting weapons, limiting run speed and the like).

17. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

God, I can't wait to get home and try this out. I'm still playing the single player demo, beat about 20 times already. Still get goosebumps, even when I know EXACTLY when stuff's gonna happen. To all those who think this is a plain ol' fps, have you tried the single player? Jeebus. Keep a pair of fresh undies close by...

Well, we only have about 2 more weeks to wait for the full game. Anybody pre-order it yet?

Tags: Add Tags