1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout 3 already pirated for the Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

People have to realize, that by pirating a game it harms everyone else involved. The developers, the publisher, honest paying customers...

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

QFT - that's why there's the war between consumers and the industry wrt DRM... Invasive DRM gives the perception of 'protection' for the industry, invasive DRM upsets customers and consequently leads to more piracy, developers flock away from the platform - it's a vicious circle. And I don't think either side wants to give a little slack. :(

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Well, you dont have to worry about PS3 games being pirated. :)

5. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

Silver51 is right, Unfortunately the people that do it just don't care. :miffed:

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

:clap: Ahhhh, the joy... I was waiting so long for something like this to happen. Let see how the devs that release games for consoles only will say "We do it because of the piracy" with straight faces. :hehe:

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

An important thing to note is that a large number of those downloads will be by Fallout fanatics who just couldn't wait who will almost certainly buy a legit copy on every platform they own as soon as they can...

Of course, some are just theiving b*stards but they would never have bought it anyway...

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Oh noes!

Piracy is killing PC Console Gaming!

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, I can't help but feel a certain amount of schadenfreude at the fact that it's a console version that's being pirated so early, when the industry always harps on about 'PC gamers are lying thieving pirate scum'.

20 days early is rather horrifying. By the time the actual release rolls around, that will have been about for ages. Not a good thing. Maybe they'll push the release date forward. If they do, hope they push the PC release forward too.

Seems the only system that is more or less immune to piracy at the minute is the PS3... from the industry perspective, Sony seem to have got that right, at least.

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

That's not funny!... *snigger*

11. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

So, when the developer/publisher releases a pre-release of the game to the various reviewers, QCers, etc, why don't they imbed some easily retrievable content code that is unique to each of the releases they distrubute? A hidden, simple button-combo that displays the unique disc code for that individual copy.

It's easily enough removable at pre-gold release so that it doesn't ruin the build release code's "QC".

That way, when one of these dodgy versions show up like this, the publisher can torrent it, test the button-combo and get the unique id, see who this was originally sent to, and f**k them up legally!

As a dev myself, I can think of a dozen ways for me to "test" which pre-release of code someone has. It isn't that hard to do...

True, it doesn't "stop" piracy, but it sure helps identify who released it! At least in these situations.. not on a mass market release, mind you...

12. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I agree, it'll be hard for them to blame piracy solely on the PC crowd now but then again they may say they PC piracy has lead us to this point.

So I guess "Oh noes" quite fits the situation

13. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Where there is a will, there is a way - PC, console, handheld et al, people ingenious enough to do so will work out ways to get something for nothing.

14. goafreak

goafreak What's a Dremel?

I totally respect the need to post such news, but I don't wanna know how many readers of this news now start downloading it... And don't try to tell us it's not available anymore. Who believes that? :duh:
    I hope Microsoft has some kind of system that can detect anyone playing this version and banning his account. :miffed:

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Isn't that the truth.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Unfortunate.

However, it opens an opportunity to check the "PC is pirate heaven" claim.

Just have to keep track of the downloads of this X360 version and compare them to the coming downloads of the PC version in three weeks.

Ratio would be, what? 1:10? 1:20? (X360:pC)

17. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

In theory, yes, but it's amazing how easy it is never to get round to buying the legit version when you've had the pirated version for 20 days before release and completed the game already. Early leaks are the most damaging type of piracy - if a person who would have bought the game downloads it because it's available early, then he might not bother to buy the original (whereas he would have bought the original if it was released at or before the pirated version). Even worse, if the pirated version is an earlier version of the code, it might have bugs that aren't in the release version, which then reflects unfairly on the game.

18. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

It's really pitty something like this happened to Bethesda! Why them? There are others who deserves to be punished. This is extremely unfair...

But we shall not disappoint them, if it's worth we shall buy it! They have always been honest with PC gamers(so far). No DRM, activations, just a simple copy-protection. I'm looking forward to play & buy it.

But it would be fitting if this leaked version was some kind of low level HDD formating virus or whatever to screw up pirates...

19. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

impar: You can't count the number of downloads as there are a ton of ways to download it. Torrents is only one of them. Even if you only count torrents, there a too many trackers around, some private some public so you can't really compare them. It's the same thing really as people who try to measure the market share of open source programs (like Linux). There are so many ways you can get it that you just can't get accurate measurements.

20. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Kusar: Did you read the article? This pirated version is for the Xbox 360, not the PC.

Tags: Add Tags