1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout 3 preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Apr 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/04/19/fallout_3_preview/1

Joe can't calm himself down after having just got back from seeing the latest build of Bethesda's Fallout 3 with Pete Hines. We managed to pin him down long enough to get this much out of him though, so steady yourself for what looks to be a corker of a game...

:naughty:

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

What does "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." stand for?
    Looks good but I think I'll probably rent the game before buying since Bioshock was a let down :)

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Loads of the imaged towards the end are also broken and getting 404's

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've fixed the images - file extensions are different for some reason. The meaning of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is discussed in the article.

5. DougEdey

But there's no I in the full name?

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Strength
    Perception
    Endurance
    Charisma
    Intelligence
    Agility
    Luck

7. DougEdey

You sir, lack intelligence :p

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

are they using Oblivion's engine?
    this screenshot looks very much like a modded Oblivion's screenshot. zombie's skin effects/

speaking of graphics, the texture quality seems a bit low though

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

According to Pete Hines, it did start on the Oblivion engine, but has changed massively since then and is all redone and reoptimised. The game looks gorgeous though, with some of the best smoke effects and mushroom clouds I've ever seen.

10. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

What platforms is it being released on?

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

2nd line of article usually states which platforms, in this case PC, 360 and ps3

12. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

urgh enough of the 3d engines where wood and stone are shiny

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

This needs to be done

DeX: PS3, 360 and PC

Shame about the lack of moral ambiguity, but I'm quite excited about this, and hooray for no levelled enemies, they killed Oblivion for me, absolutely ruined it.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2008
  14. -equilerex-

-equilerex- What's a Dremel?

just a little nip picking...
    vault 13 was actually the control patch where everything was supposed to be perfect... unfortunately someone messed up and sent all the 13'a waterchips to vault city...

ditto... and where the hell has the orange desert-like eviroment gone? totally loved that.....

didnt really see much difference in humor between 1 and 2... not to mention that the random encounters were awesome. not going to judge the game by previews though... il decide when i get it... and also trying to keep away from spoilers ^^

as for taking inspiration from fo1... thats a bit shady... from "inside the vault" feature, it turned out that most of the guys working on it hadnt even played any of originals... only saw some who said they've played just a bit of it... and then they banned that question. meh, will be waiting to see how it will be:blah:

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

This one's set on the east coast instead of the west coast, east coast USA isn't famed for it's deserts :p

16. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I'm going to have to agree with equilerex here. How are they even going to base this on the original if most of the team haven't played it? Until I see evidence to the contrary, this still is Fallout in name only.

17. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Providing they can stay away from all that made oblivion crappy based on what I read they will still be short of what it should be. The random encounters with the most random things, the subtle references, and the turn based system that drove me nuts but still made the game fun. Half the fun of that game was how it made running around in a wasteland so much fun with the interesting dialog and what not. If Oblivion represented what Bethesda can make for dialog then this game will be repetitive and dry.

I still want to play it since I want some new fallout action. Here is to hoping it inst as screwed up as they can make it.:sigh:

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

This looks like an awesome game, but as said above, everything's too shiny. Less of that please.

That ruined FEAR for me...

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't agree, you don't need to play Fallout for very long to get a good idea of what the game is like, and so long as the leaders of the team are very familiar with the game they can make sure it stays true to the originals.

20. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Erm.. I though brethsda would be all for lack of clear morals after all morrowind allows you to be as imoral or as moral as you like. Also they should include monty python referances, little bits of humor are what make games fun.

Tags: Add Tags