1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Fan Testing and Comparisons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 22 Apr 2020.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

NB: I'll update this post periodically so that all new info is in the same place.

So... everyone has their own "thing" that they indulge in, and for me (especially now with little else to do) it's tinkering with electronics. I decided to take all my server fans down from the attic and I also acquired a few more to bolster the fleet. Here's how the fan collection currently looks, with mostly 120x38 fans but a fair few others:

[​IMG]

I also put together a simple U-gauge manometer with the intention of comparing the static pressure of various fans, however it turns out that the gauge is pretty darn accurate and I'm able to replicate numbers from datasheets. I'm still waiting on gasket material arriving in the post to ensure a perfect air seal, however even without the gasket it works very well indeed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm planning to make some videos to talk about various server fans commonly encountered in Dell, HP, Fujitsu, Cisco etc. units and how it's pretty easy to use them either as case fans or on heatsinks and rads (all of which I've done).

For the time being, here's a little teaser I put together to test video footage of said fans.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2020
    javaman, Pete J, David and 6 others like this.
  2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

These things seem like the antithesis of my current goals. IE: Not to go deaf.

And yet, I am super curious.

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

SCIENCE !

Awesome :D

Dr. Coin and LennyRhys like this.
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Looks awesome! Have you thought of using Pitot tubes for airspeed?

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Fantastic.

And.

Apologies.

LennyRhys and Dr. Coin like this.
  6. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Amazing!

I'm a building services engineer and one of my things is HVAC (manometers/Pitot tubes are my thang) - which feeds into to my love of PC's and cooling them. Very interested in what you are up to here.

This would be sweet. Are you planning on taking sound measurements?

U-tube manometer - accurate, easy, repeatable, analogue :D Nice little setup - are you using water with food coloring or manometer fluid?

Interesting that you are getting datasheet results. I'm aware some datasheet specs are collected in the 'best possible environment', so getting actual results is nice to see :)

I'm also having a go at building a Arduino PWM fan controller for my server at the moment, using return water temp to change fan speed. Have been looking for a standalone fan controller to do the job - only one I can find that will do it, but don't fancy shelling out on an Aquaero 6.

Also - googly eyes!

I'm in :thumb:

LennyRhys likes this.
  7. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Have a look at the aquacomputer Quadro. Much cheaper and same functionality.

~£40, 4 PWM fan outputs, flow meter interface, 4 temp sensors, usb connection to computer and some RGB.

I’m a big fan of the aquacomputer software too.

Water temp is my preferred variable for PC fan speed in a loop.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2020
  8. cobalt6700

cobalt6700 Minimodder

Goatee you legend - how have I missed this. Totally buying one right now. Cheers bud :thumb:

Water temp I feel is the best way in our application.

Goatee likes this.
  9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ooft... when I was researching manometers I came across pitot tubes, but it's all a bit over my head. Took me a while to understand the ins and outs of how static pressure is measured, and I'm still struggling to get my head round everything, but having a lot of fun learning lol.

No plans yet - I'm always more interested in raw performance, however if I ever get hold of a sound level meter I will definitely put it to use.

Re. the manometer fluid, yeah it's just water with food colouring. Apparently the controlled tests are done with fluid at 4°C and I may chill the water when doing my own comparative testing. The only other variable is atmospheric pressure, and I won't be measuring that! Some of the weaker fans measure very low (less than 2mm/H2O) so the bulk of my testing will be with fans that are significantly stronger.

I don't have a decent audio recording device (yet) so as soon as I get one I'll do some voiceovers on the footage. Until then, it's going to be naff annotations and blowy noises!

Here's the G1238B in action - basically everything in the room starts moving LOL :rock:

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dear god :O

Fingers66 and LennyRhys like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ho-lee-crap.

Do not touch the operational end of The Device.
    Do not look directly at the operational end of The Device.

Fingers66 and LennyRhys like this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oooof I love those whines! Remines me when I was playing with a high power brushless motor for a uni project, even without blades it kicked out air and would nearly torque itself off the workbench! That thing terrorified me! May I reccoment fan guards :p Health and safty first and foremost :p

LennyRhys likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is spectacular.

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah... sorry about the camera shake I do have a tripod (on loan from a colleague) but wanted the mobility and simplicity of a handheld shoot!

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Jeez just watched the vid.

That could not only take your fingers off but mince them up and vapourize them before you can blink.

16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So fans and cooling is something I'm extremely interested in. I've had a fan testing methodology and device in development for at least a year. Might need to contact you about some brain storming.

On a lighter note, First we have coronavirus now LennyRhys is starting bloody tornadoes

LennyRhys, The_Crapman and Goatee like this.
  17. The_Crapman

A fair few years ago while boarding a flight back home into Birmingham, a flight attendant remarked there's been tornados their the previous day. :eeek: Not he best thing you want when on a 2 week delayed hangover.

18. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You hangovers take 2 weeks? Mine happen in a few hours. Teach me your ways

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

*delayed 2 weeks.

It's simple: get drunk, then keep drinking almost solidly for two weeks. At the end of it you'll get your two-week-delayed hangover :grin:

The_Crapman likes this.
  20. The_Crapman

Magaluf. Horrid alcohol. Horrid clubs. Epic fun (when you're hound and stupid).

adidan and Byron C like this.