1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Far Cry 2 specs revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Seraphim2150

Seraphim2150 Non-Modder

Is it just me or do those actually seem quite reasonable?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They seem extremely reasonable, maybe it's the Farcry Engine :p

4. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

Maybe these are recommended specs to be able to play it on 'low detail' mode??? Having said that I remember reading that the engine has gone through some heavy optimisation so with any luck those specs are indeed correct.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well those do seem pretty reasonable but typically even recommended specs is never really recommended and something higher is needed, its kinda like min is for very low, recommended is for like medium and then something top notch for high.

6. diasam

diasam What's a Dremel?

Gaah it looks like my 8400M GT won't be able to handle this T-T

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yay theres life still in my 8800GTS 320MB, tho at 1920x1200 it might be a different story....

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks pretty good - depends how it actually runs though. So many games have had sensible minimum specs then run like a dog.

9. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

thats is very reasonable, atleast people wont be bitching about how shite their pc is and how games try to force them to upgrade all the time like they did with crysis....if you wanna play the most graphically awesome and detailed game pull your wallet out, otherwise shhhhhh....still back to the news thread, its good news as maybe with it being more accessible to more gamers, they will make some proper money from it and prove that pc gaming isnt dying, farcry 2 should be good

peace

10. seveneleven

seveneleven What's a Dremel?

Yeah totally agree with what he said ^ Maybe the "Dunia" engine is very well coded but I somehow doubt that you could see all those nice flame effects on a slow machine.

I hope that this game turns out great because the team behind is a very talented and young one and they really deserve to put out a good product.

11. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

thats actually not that bad. lower than assassin's creed, which was ridiculous.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not too horrible... all things considered. I suppose I'll need to grab a good gaming card to throw in the MP for boot camp gaming.

13. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Guess now i know my goals for the upgrade :)

14. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Noooorrrs my 9500 pro won't make the cut! ...Not that I was expecting it to or anything but hey, a broke guy can dream.

15. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i doubt those recomended specs will provide the stunning visuals I've been seeing of farcry 2

16. Mach1.9pants

Mach1.9pants What's a Dremel?

Recommended specs are such a waste of time. The MOST important thing to how the game will run is what resolution you are going to run it at! It is never referenced in rec. set. (and often not in not tech savvy reviews of games and gear). I would imagine those rec. sets. would give pretty rubbish frame rates on a 30" monitor!

A waste of time IMO

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yeah, too low.

looks like i'll have to wait for Rage's recommended spec for an upgrade goal.

i highly doubt those recommended are what's required to max the game.

18. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I thought they are quite acceptable specs. I really hope those recommend could get us to a high level od detail... but i doubt it.

19. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

i'll see what happens when i run this at 1680x1050.

20. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

I say that the recommended specs should be what it takes to run the game at max settings with a frame rate of at least 75 - 85Hz sustained, no dropping below that frame rate at all.

The minimum specs should be what it takes to run the game at half settings while maintaining the same 75 - 85Hz sustained frame rate.

Having a PC with specs higher than recommended should enable you to get up to 120Hz sustained frame rate on max settings, there is no point going above 120Hz as very few monitors can display it and your eyes cannot see any difference above that frame rate.
    Contrary to popular belief the human eye can see above 60Hz, the limit is 120Hz, below 60Hz things start to strobe, below 25Hz you get the slideshow effect.

If you have a PC that falls below the minnimum you should still be able to run the game but at lower settings while maintaining at least 75Hz sustained frame rate even if you have to run the game at the lowest settings or you can then decide to set the frame rate lower to get higher resolution/effects settings.

You should have an option in the settings menu to set the frame rate and it should stay at that frame rate and not drop below it at all, if your PC can't sustain the frame rate you set it to then you decide on how to compromise, be it an option to have it automatically lower resolution to prevent frame rate reduction or have an option to let it lower the frame rate and maintain resolution.

As for consoles, they are made with a set system spec and are made for use with either 50Hz or 60Hz frame rate depending on what TV system it is used on, they should not have the frame rate dropping either.

Having a constant frame rate is part of the quality and enjoyment, a constant high frame rate of 75Hz or higher makes the game much more enjoyable and does not cause eye strain or fatigue, frame rates lower than 75Hz cause eye strain and fatigue, I can't have my monitor set below 75Hz, I have it set at 85Hz and keep it at that, if I set it at 75Hz I start to see strobing, if I set it to 60Hz I can't even look at it because it hurts my eyes.

I can watch TV at 50Hz but that is standard definition, I haven't watched high definition at 50Hz yet because of the cost of HDTV's.

Tags: Add Tags