1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Firefox 3.6

Discussion in 'Software' started by Unicorn, 23 Mar 2010.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

someone needs to write an app called skidmarks

2. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

My apologies. It wasn't/isn't Foxmarks/Xmarks. It's Firefox Synchronisation Extension 7.3.2.16 and PC Sync 2 Synchronisation Extension 1.0.0.723.
    Can anyone tell me what these are?

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I've been using Xmarks to keep my firefox bookmarks on my PCs and laptop synced for a while now and love it. I'd really like them to add iPhone support so that Safari on my phone could have all my desktop bookmarks as well, although that's probably more work than it's worth for them. Incidentally, I have well over 500 bookmarks :blush: but they are all very organized!

4. Mclusky

Mclusky What's a Dremel?

Just installed Firefox 3.6 as Google Chrome seems to be throwing up lots of script errors recently along with some websites I visited becoming incompatible.

My problem now is when I open a new tab in Firefox the tab is simple blank, how do I set it to open on my homepage?

5. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

im using the 3.7 beta so i can try out direct2d and i find it does load graphicly intensive pages very quickly although havent tested the difference.

6. Daytona178

Daytona178 What's a Dremel?

I have noticed it does run faster compared to 3.5, although it is still noticeably slower compared to Chrome.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Firefox has always opened a blank page when you open a new tab. Navigating to your homepage when you open a new tab is completely pointless. You're opening a new tab to go to a different location or address - naving to your homepage first would make browsing really clunky. If I need to search for something it goes like this: Ctrl+t, type search criteria, press enter. That's faster than if I had to remove the homepage address from the address bar first of all.

Chrome is great for browsing sites that have no plugins on them, but throw the smallest plugin like a simple flash banner at it and it craps itself. FF 3.6 is the king of plugins. I have over 10 installed on mine and it runs like a dream with 40+ tabs open.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I use 'new tab homepage' considering my home page is google, so when i want to search i can default to that location.

I am useless at bookmarks as i use to spend more time searching my bookmarks than just using my google Fu

Don't get me wrong, i use to love IE for its favourites toolbar, and haven't found a plug in for firefox that is the same yet. Really miss it actually.

9. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Try bookmarks-->Bookmark this page and under folder-->bookmarks toolbar(I don't know if you already knew that, but just in case you didn't) :thumb:

I must say the only reason I'm still using FF is the number of useful plugins it's got (dunno how I'd cope without plugs like adblock, noscript and greasemonkey), especially considering it locks for no reason every now and then and it's memory requirements seem to go up exponentially with the amount of time it's been open(resulting in a close, wait 20secs, open again every couple of hours):sigh:

10. aussiebear

aussiebear What's a Dremel?

That's the thing about browsers...

* Firefox engine is really about extendability.
    (Add new features with ease, but at the cost of speed and efficiency.)

* Chrome's one is about performance and security.
    (Explains why their extensions framework isn't as good.)

I still use Firefox for both Linux and Windows because it allows me to control what loads up in a very convenient manner via NoScript, etc. (I usually whitelist sites that offer good content and block ads on those sites that really have nothing to offer.)