1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox Update Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by timmythemonkey, 25 Sep 2008.

1. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

Hey Guys,

Something here at the office is stumping us and I was hoping someone out there in the Wonderful World of Bit-Tech may be able to help.

We have Mozilla Firefox installed on a number of our machines, but have noticed that the software never succeeds in updating itself.

After a bit of investigation, it turns out that although it can identify that its out of date, it cant connect to the Update Server to get the latest version. It just gets stuck saying "Downloading the update... [scrolling loading bar] Connecting to the update server...".

Im pretty sure this is down to either a firewall or a proxy issue, probably the former, as the proxy settings look fine and I can browse normally. Although the Boss says that he cant pick out the right one thats getting stopped by the firewall. So Im back to my investigation, which after a few hours of Googling and forum browsing has left me back here.

Does anyone know what the URL to the update server is that the browser uses to download, or perhaps what port it uses to download the update?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

You can find the URL it uses in about:config under "app.update.url". It's a https:// URL so it goes over SSL on a different port than normal HTTP connections. (port 443) Not sure how all that works through a proxy though. :)

3. timmythemonkey

timmythemonkey Monkeymodder

Thanks for your reply [Jonny].

That helped me narrow down what I was looking for in Wireshark. And I was able to grab the URL from that.

Turns out it wasn't a firewall or proxy problem after all, instead it was our WebMarshal Intenet monitor service that was blocking the download from a URL that wasn't in the safe list.

Thanks again for your help!

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sounds like an over zealous service, kill it :p