1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos First attempt at HDR

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cyprio, 4 Apr 2008.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I don't like the HDR conversion in Photoshop. It often doesn't work well, and it's not as flexible as Photomatix. With Photomatix you can create those really surreal effects if you like, while using Photoshop usually results in a more normal-looking image.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That's because Photoshop's HDR tool doesn't automatically do the tone mapping, as Photomatix does. It just gives you an RGB/32 (or so) image that's displayed on your screen as if it were RGB/8. In theory it's much more powerful, but also of course requires you to do more of the heavy lifting.

3. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I found Photmatrix very easy to use and would recommend it for someone just getting into HDR.

Cyp.

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

When you convert from the 32bit HDR file to a normal 8/16 bit file, it gives you the adjustment palate which essentially is the tone-mapping stage.

Photomatix is similar - you have to choose your files and then it creates an HDR composite. You then need to do the Tone Mapping to make it look like a real photo. Same sort of thing really, it's a two-stage process for either software. But Photoshop gives more realistic-looking results, and Photomatix can make things look funky if that's what you're after. I'm not sure if you can do that with PS, you probably can, it's just not as obvious maybe.

5. kempez

kempez modding again!

The image looks fantastic mate, from a non-technical n00b photographers POV. Is that the Church next to UCL?

6. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks kempez. :) It's a church called St. Giles down in Camberwell.

I'm now determined to get a pic of it without those damn lights in the way!

Cyp.

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

Wow it's amazing how similar churches look :)

Go for it, will be looking out for it!

Tags: