1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: BitFenix Colossus and Survivor Cases

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 6 Jun 2010.

1. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

if they made the lights SOUND reactive then i might consider it. otherwise Its a lot cheaper for me to go to my closest maplins & get a a Cathode set.

its kick ass having the lights flash as explosions & gunfire go off. otherwise both cases do nothing for me. the lightshow is just a gimmick that every 5y/o kid wants on his pc.

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

good to see some innovation and new ideas into cases. Even though i wouldnt buy any of those over my stacker, i hope these guys make some money

3. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Colossus looks like Dead Space.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Now that ive seen more of the colossus i can say i hate it, it looks seriously cheap and tacky imo, The survivor on the other hand has me interested, its just about perfect for my second rig and looks sweet.

5. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

colossus = 1980s animation , maybe thundercats, ugly
    survivor = interesting

6. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Agree with the post that nobody wants loads of shiny lights when ur kicking back watching a movie and can see the lights of the colossus being switched off permanantly which makes them pointless as well as garish. It appears to be styling over substance with the lack of side fans. While the survivor is the prettier of the the two, the use of all that mesh is alarming from a potential noise and dust collecting perpective. If you get down to basics good cases achieve the best noise supression, cooling and cable managment. It is these elements that win reviews not flash lights. I have to say I'm surprised at what bitFenix have churned out given the talent onboard. I don't know why but I had thought that given free reign under a new company the designers would have tried to bring the quality of the likes of the cosmos pure or the corsair 800D to the masses as to my mind the direction that these cases have taken are the future of case design. Both have supposed issues with negative air pressure and hard drive cooling which I'd loved to have seen bitFenix solve in their offering.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2010
  7. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Both look pretty good to me, though I see all the other's points as valid. If I had that colossus, I wouldn't bother connecting up the lights, though I suspect my toddler would love them and if I were 15 again, so would I.

Let's see how the RRP comes up for both....

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Colossus - I have just vomited on my keyboard.

9. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

A case should be tool-less, have some storage, manage cables well, have great air flow, either be light (aluminum) or durable (steel) and have plenty of room for your components. If it doesn't do those things then all the flashy lights, exterior designs, and colors are worthless.

Also the case shouldn't cost more than your entire set up or GPU (Thermaltake Level 10 $799.99)

10. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I have to say I like the Colossus more than the survivor, but both are very well thought out and full of crap that most people wouldn't have thought of (but good crap)

I'm waiting on the price for the survivor because (depending on that) I believe I've found my next case :p

11. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

Survivor looks great! Exactly the case I was looking for. Lets just hope the quality and prices are ok.

12. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Thermaltake must have heard me complaining as I have just saw a prototype of a Thermaltake Level 10 mini which looks great and will cost under $200.00 USD Thus making both of these two cases two big pieces of crap.

13. TFSakon

TFSakon What's a Dremel?

Like the Survivor, looks like it'll be awesome when it's tightened up a bit, dunno bout the Collosus, looks almost awesome, but not quite done.

14. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

I look forward to seeing reviews on both. While the Colossus isn't quite to my liking but it may become a modder's dream depending on quality and layout.

The Survivor looks, on first impression, to be something I have been looking for but have yet to find. I want a WELL vented case that allows creative mounting of fans without drilling and can be used in either vertical AND horizontal orientations. There have been times I have needed to lay the box on its side for severe lack of real estate but few are dual use.

If these cases are not too expensive but not too cheap either, I hate cheesy plastic parts, I might have room for one.

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Fortress FT01 meets HAF922 , 2 of my favourite cases rolled in to one! The Survivor looks to be ticking boxes especially if it caters for easy installation of water cooled mods...

I look forward to the review

16. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

So when your CPU fan starts screaming away because of your massive overclock you get some gaudy lights to rub salt in the wound :p

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Colossus = interesting, but nay.
    Survivor = interesting, yay.

18. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Cases without switches for the lights should be banned. A single led fan is enough to ruin it for me, especially if the given leds are BLUE. Sigh.

19. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Yup that Survivor case can certainly compete on looks. But it's how and if it keeps things cool that counts. If it matches the 902 for cooling and build quality then they'll have a winner.

Lot of ifs there though!

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Not impressed, on top of that I hate false advertising, if you are going to name something the survivor, and talk about in the video how its going to be rugged but then at the same time say rugged looking, you need to name it something else if its not going to live up to its name. I was expecting something big from them and well Im not seeing much to be honest.

Tags: Add Tags