1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits First Look: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Jun 2009.

1. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Having seen the latest macbook pro refresh, the 13" MBP is now very well priced, considering the 7 hour battery, Geforce 9400m and the 2.2ghz CPU. Now, people who know me will tell you that I'm not Apple's biggest fan, being a Vista and Ubuntu user first and foremost, but I hate Windows 7 enough to want to avoid it if at all possible. The MBP is at a good price and the UNIX underpinnings are enough to win me over. $/£29 for an upgrade to what is basically a much improved version of Leopard, but with the addition of Grand Central and OpenCL or £100 for a frankly ruined version of Vista? Take your pick. I'll keep my desktop for games, but I think I'm going to back the other horse until W7 is killed off.

Still, I wouldn't buy an Apple desktop, they're still outdated rubbish. I'll use an MBP with a KVM instead.

Linux and OSX don't need DirectX - you can do quite a lot with OpenGL

2. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It looks pretty, yes. So does their hardware.

But where's the tweaking option?

Where's the customisation options?

Oh, and if MS are so evil and bad, why are so many people excited about Exchange support? Surely they should spend their money on Apples equally overpriced server software?

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Whether we like it or not, Exchange is the defacto standard in business so for business users it's a big deal and Apple understandably wants a piece of that pie.

5. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

"The world's most advanced operating system"? Yea right... If ya want an advanced BSD-based system, get FreeBSD. It's free aswell.

Oh and strange how they say Windows (NT) sucks. After all Apple didn't program their OS from scratch.

6. liratheal

You're going to shoot me down in flames here, but.

I, honestly, don't know any business Mac users that don't have an Apple based server and a business supplied Apple machine.

I know plenty with a personal Apple machine that they want to use in a business environment which is all Windows or part Windows part Penguin, but none that have business supplied Apple machines without (an) Apple server(s).

For the personal Apple users in a Windows business environment - Entourage can connect half-heartedly to Exchange. No calendar syncing, but hell, it works. I don't know many places with a good domain security setup that are happy for employees to plug in personal machines anyway. Bit-Tech is likely to be an exception in this one, but hey. You're all tech nutters - Being slightly less than ordinary is to be expected when it comes to how your network is set up.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

well let me put that straight then. my previous work place ran a half and half windows/mac split with a bunch of linux machines thrown in for good measure. our only mac server was used for compiling and testing builds, and could hardly be considered a server: it was an ancient powermac buried in some corner of the office, not even the server room. company server duties were handled by linux machines.

8. liratheal

Then why would your previous employer give two shits about Exchange?

Do MS do a Penguin Exchange server?

Edit: I don't think I made my point you're quoting clear - I'm referring exclusively to requirement for Exchange support, not the broader brush of OS mixes in companies.

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Surely Apple can't be allowed to ship their OS with Safari! What about the Anti-Competition BS that Microsoft is suffering with!

10. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Ill b e getting this for my Macbook purely for the price as my Macbook runs Windows 7 most of the time, ahh best of both worlds, Shame Windows 7 cant get the battery life OSX can though :(

11. Fod

Well, we probably would have run Exchange if it was easy to do so. As it stood, considering the heavily multiplatform nature of our setup, we used a combination of email and wikis. the company who acquired us just before we left relied heavily upon it, so i assume they started caring a lot more about it now :)

12. liratheal

Apple doesn't have a big enough market share anywhere for anyone to give a ****, though.

Even with Apple now offering Exchange support (Apparently, the server needs to be properly configured to allow Apples software to talk to it. I didn't look into exactly what needs setting up as what), Your previous employers should count themselves lucky that they don't run (Unless it's changed since you were there) a Windows server..

13. Fod

oh we had a few windows servers as well. it was a bit of an ... interesting setup. we hosted a few customer solutions onsite and had machines dedicated to them, so they ran whatever the customers wanted, pretty much. i hardly touched the windows side though, most of my work was on linux, solaris, and mac.

14. liratheal

tbfh, it sounds kinda fun. At least, for a year or two.

15. d4martin

d4martin d4martin

I use Mac(work) and PC(home). They are both as good as each other. Just depends on what you want to do. Of course changing from one to the other -if not used to it is difficult - but so is changing from a manual car to automatic - but once used to it you hardly notice. If you want to use a MAC and don't like the Apple Mouse use a PC one- same with the keyboard!!!

Ok the Mac OS is dummed down - but it's meant to be easy- so that computer Noobs can still use them - Althought Vista seems to be going the same direction!!! M$ seem to be trying to turn their OS into a MAC Clone.
    Remember that not all people out there are as educated with Tech as we are and would never dig any deeper than Web and e-mail and want something easy.

If I had the cash - I would probably have both .Mac's IMO are fantastic pieces of kit - aimed at home and business users (unfortunately not gamers) but I tend to use design software more than games - which mostly work better on a MAC.

They are too expensive compared to PC's but anything you buy for a MAC - WORKS because it's more controlled (99%).
    I wish I could say the same about my beloved PC- but I would never part with it.

It just seems to me that many people 'dis' the Mac because of Fan -boy-ism, lack of knowledge, or lack of games - the same way that MAC fan-boys complain about PC's. They are not perfect nor are they perfect for everyone - ( they also have a large Modding fan base)

I can't help it - I LOVE THEM BOTH - PC and MAC

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

How come Apple can add all these additional apps to their OS with out getting hit with an anti trust case? Is it because they provide a complete product, hardware and software?

17. FatMikel

FatMikel Statistically not that fat...

Nah, it's because they aren't Microsoft and therefore nobody cares.

18. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Itsa because there not a Monopoly, when they become big enough they will get the commissions on there back.

19. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

monopoly (n.): exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. --Dictionary.com

It's easy, Apple currently sits at around 10-12% market share, and I don't believe that Apple will advance anywhere close to that plateau in the near-future.

Apple won't support DirectX. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft is keen on keeping the gaming crown which means that there will be no licensing agreement to implement DirectX on OSX. On the other side, Apple hardware runs Windows pretty well so I doubt that Apple is trying to 'break-in' to the Hard-core Gaming Crowd.

As far as the benefits, they look promising and I will be ponying up for Snow Leopard. The changes between each release of OSX may not have the OMGWOW factor, but it's a combination of UNIX with some good UI love*.

As for Snow Leopard running at $29, I believe it's reasonable. I think it's more than a simple "Service Pack" but less that a full OS upgrade.

Exactly. They're two ways of doing the same things differently.

* - Finder, the default file pseudo-navigation window is completely trash. Give me Path Finder anyday of the week.

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

For the record; just because Apple doesn't have the market share MS does, does not make what Apple are doing any less than anti competitive.

Tags: Add Tags