1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases First self-build case advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malbluff, 3 Aug 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

I am planning my first full self-build. ATX mobo and GTX670 graphics (Asus TOP if available, when I want it). IvyBridge CPU. I want to allow for top mounting liquid cooler rad (eg Corsair H100). Will have DVD + SSD + 2x HDD, and want a bit of scope, should I want to add to that, later.

I know it's probably "first build paranoia", but having difficulty deciding on ideal case, to give adequate space, for easy build, and good cooling. Highly unlikely I would ever want to SLi that card, but would be nice to think I COULD. Want a decent looking case, but nothing too gawdy (certainly don't want "Blackpool illuminations").

Price not a big issue, but don't really want to go over £100, unless really worth it.

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Corsair carbide 500r is a fairly good case which comes in at just shy of £90 for the black, or a fiver more for the white version.

If you don't like the look of that, there's the fractal define r4 for the same money (£90). Thats a nice understated case. Very quiet too.

And just a little over budget is the silverstone raven rv02 at £110. I'm personally not so keen, but its highly rated in CustomPC.

Edit; on second thoughts, i don't recall if the raven can take a h100.

3. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that. Carbide sounds like a good candidate. Corsair cooler ought to fit in a Corsair case. So many seem to say that top rad will fit, and then go on to talk about limitations. Not always easy to judge, when it's your first build. As I said, I'm probably being a bit paranoid, anyway.

4. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Depending what style you like another option is the Fractal Arc Midi at just under £80. Plenty of room for a H100 in the roof, and more than enough space for everything else.