1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free international sms/text?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nova, 13 Feb 2008.

1. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

I am a US college student. My girl friend moved over to Paris, France. Before we would text a lot, now we text some but it still very expensive. Is there a way that i can text her for free/cheap? the cost is just killing me right now. i would like to keep the use of my handset. I have alltel, but i have no idea what mobile provider she is using.

Any help would be great!

Andy

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Your best bet would be to find a free french one if you can speak the language. Im not sure how recieving txts would work though...

3. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

yeah i dont speak a lick of french.

maybe i could set up a special email adress to forward to my phone, and just have her txt my email.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Get some Skype phones and find some WiFi/buy some Skype credit?

5. Nova

Nova What's a Dremel?

i called my carrier, they said txting was free to any number, even international. will have to work out voice next.

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

For voice are there cheap call services in the US?

In the UK I can phone my brother in Malawi by calling an 0845 number and they route the call to africa so I only pay a local charge...

7. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

My boyfriend is in England right now and I'm in the US. We have a small Ventrilo server that runs $5.99 per month and can host up to 10 people at once. We use it for when we're gaming together and just to be able to talk freely and hear each other's voice on the cheap. It's also fun to have some of our other friends join in for chats as well. I'm in Colorado, so we picked a server out of New York and the ping is excellent. No worries about outrageous phone bills and we generally only text when internet is down for some reason. Very cost effective. You could also look into hosting the free server version yourself.