1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Future of Socket FM1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord Blobbery, 25 Aug 2011.

1. Lord Blobbery

Lord Blobbery Curious.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of building a cheap micro-ATX Llano system at uni - having not started there yet, I am unsure whether I actually need one, though my laptop is to gaming as caustic soda is to people. I figure I can add in a dedicated graphics card at a later point to keep immediate costs down, as Llano's integrated graphics are more powerful than my desktop's dedicated card, hence making an improvement either way.

However, I'd prefer to keep costs down in the long run, and thus I'm curious as to the future of socket FM1. Bulldozer processors will use AM3+, but (correct me if I'm wrong, I lost last month's magazine) won't be APUs. I've seen talk of a socket FM2 - assuming this is the APU successor to FM1, what are the odds of incompatability with the old socket/processors? I understand that AMD have a rather long history of socket backwards-compatability. Apologies if I'm asking questions that currently only speculation will answer.