1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Game designed to help combat culture shock

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Now we just have to count the days until Jack hears about this and claims that it is the cause of cancer in school-children.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

OMG that is freaking hilarious. Richard you dog you! Idk, maybe the warrant was worth it cause Shelpa is so f*ing hot!

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Interesting that it's developed around Portsmouth uni. I guess all the "women drinking" will be around guild hall walk area.
    The only thing this game will do is think that everyone in the UK has scrape-back hair (for the females) and wears anything with white trainers.

Is it me or do I come across as a little bitter/jaded? :p

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Having played the Getaway and Getaway 2, I now feel I understand the cultures in that there London :p

7. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Hmm, I find this hilarious, seeing as I shall (all going to plan) be starting at Portsmouth in September (Electronic Engineering), I will have to test this game and see if it does indeed, assist my moving to the area!

8. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

The whole furore over a few stupid kisses was so completely retarded. Indians are acting like the biggest bloody hypocrites in the world.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well I guess, if it helps fair enough.

I can't say I see it as that much of a big deal though, I mean anyone coming here from their home countries is likely to only find a country more liberal or as liberal as their own. So long as people aren't very immature there shouldn't be any problems.

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

You ever actually been in India? If so then I guess you understand that public display's of affection are not conisdered appropriate. Whilst this may seem strange to Westerner it's quite the norm over there. Even Indian movies are banned from having extended kissing scenes.

It's just different no more right or wrong than the values of the west.

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

spec, as you haven't personally been brought up in India then moved to the UK to be a student, do you really think you're in a position to say it's not a big deal for the people who do have to do it? It clearly is a big deal to this guy, because if it weren't, why would he be spending so much time on the project? Good on him - he's clearly trying to help people by offering to share what he's learnt from his experiences.

Aankhen, do you think you could justify the use of the word hypocrite there?

jai hind...

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I choose not to live in India because I would find it difficult to put up with that sort of restriction. If people from India have a problem with public kissing, I would respectfully suggest that they should choose not to live here.

If new people are arriving, fine, be helpful, offer friendship, tolerance and understanding, but don't apologise for the local culture.

Phil

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What's to deal with? Informality with lecturers, people kissing(which I'm sure even the most sexually repressed country sees once or twice on the big screen) - it's hardly as if you need to learn to walk on the roof now is it?

I would be curious to hear of any "culture shock" people from india who moved over here experienced, and specifically what it was. I can't imagine there was really _that_ much that would be hard to get used to. Lot's of new and different things of course, but stuff that's hard to accept or aclimatise to I'd be interested in.

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Ironically enough I just got an email from an Indian friend (well, she's born in England but still has lots of Indian family and has spent a lot of time in India) saying she objects to the culture of this country when she compares it to the values people follow in India, and she doesn't like the way India is going in the same way. Of course you can get used to them, but the idea of this phone game is to prepare people for the culture shock, helping them get used to it before they even arrive. I'm not saying you can't get used to it; I don't think anyone is.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

£10 on the table says that they'll burn effigies over it.

16. Kaboom22

Kaboom22 Minimodder

Why is it my uni always gets such odd things in the press?

wait, don't answer that :rolleyes:

17. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Yes, seeing as how I'm Indian and lived there until last September. :) The whole Indian attitude towards public displays of affection is utter hypocrisy.
    No, actually, they aren't. Select movies are pulled up on charges of being "obscene" (that is, showing one scene where the lead actors are kissing each other), while others include kiss upon kiss with nary a warning from either censors or media.
    Let me just say that India does not have a population of one billion people because babies grow on trees. :)

Finally, just to be clear, I fully support the technique mentioned in the article to alleviate culture shock, since (hypocrisy or not) this culture shock does exist, so softening it can only be a good thing. My comments were addressed towards the reaction to a few kisses from Richard Gere.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Personally, I struggle to imagine a society where (public) personal affection is seen as wrong, it's just so alien from UK culture, especially from the culture which introduced the Brits to the Karma Sutra. :p (I know someone will probably say "Actually it was..." but tough.)

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> saying she objects to the culture of this country

Fine, great, no problem. Leave.

Phil

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Dude I'm going to be honest, you're coming across as a complete xenophobe. I have a problem with heavy duty public displays of affection if I'm honest. Not the odd peck on the cheek but heavy stuff. Everyone has their limits set at different points. The point is I recognise it's doing me no harm and can ignore it. That's why I said earlier that none of this should be a big deal to anyone who's reasonably mature.

Everyone has different limits, so long as you're not being harmed or directly effected you can just choose to ignore it. Just because people from another country don't like something about their new host country doesn't mean they should automatically leave - and you being so quick to suggest they do is slightly saddening.

Tags: Add Tags