1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gameloft: 'Games have one new idea a year'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

would be a godd article / Blog topic actually, what new ideas have come into gaming over the last 10 years

and do a year by year analysis

3. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

The similarity to Uncharted is ridiculous. It it had Nathan Drake's voiced over it, it would basically be PS2 version of Uncharted.

4. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

but then again Uncharted is just a male version of Tomb Raider...

oh boy oh boy isn't that fun?

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Let's make Lara Croft into a credible action figure; becomes a man. lol. That's innovation for you or I'll eat my hat. So stfu Michel Guillemot from Gameloft. <There is a chance you might think I'm being serious; good luck with that.

6. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Total BS. Uncharted is many things, a lot more then tomb Raider ever was or tried to be.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

saddle popperville

8. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Game developers have been ripping each other off long before Gameloft even existed.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

There are only so many plot lines out there, and the rest is just packaging. It's kind of like playing game mad libs...

A (FPS, RPG) set in (the past, the future, a dystopian future, a fantasy realm) where the player needs to (get an object, travel from A to B, Kill someone, survive, etc) in order to (get revenge, save the human race, restore their family honor, defeat evil, escape from someplace bad)!

The only thing that really varies is what the player has to do or overcome, and the enemies he must confront in the process.

Strategy and puzzle games are a little different, but many of the same elements apply.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

What can differentiate games is the storyline. Is it immersive? Does it evoke emotional responses by the player? Great story dialogue and cut-scenes can make an otherwise cookie-cutter game a notch above its competition and one that will be remembered. Look at Starcraft II. Sure its a typical RTS and its gameplay is almost identical to its own predecessor Starcraft, but the cut-scenes and player dialog between scenarios really make it a more polished game. Great soundtracks also make a difference. Although as gamers, we don't always notice the background music, if its varied and fits well with the gaming experience, it does contribute to the overall feel of the game.

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

As someone once said ideas are the easy part. The execution is the hard part. The same distinction seems to apply to stealing too. Stealing ideas is okay. Stealing a game is piracy.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

one new game a year, when you work for a large company you mean. Indies come with dozens of new ideas every year.

Tags: Add Tags