1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding gaming chair: completed

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifikg, 18 Feb 2004.

1. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I want to turn my computer chair into a "gaming" chair. Just like 2 examples found here.
    I am going to use a very simple setup as shown.

[​IMG]
    I'm going to use the bass shaker

I could use some feedback on this idea and some help finding the cheapest possible amp for this

EDIT: scroll down to post #8 for details

Last edited: 28 Feb 2004
  2. Mixx

Mixx What's a Dremel?

yo this is a sick idea. go for it m8. ive been inspired to make a home theater now

3. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari What's a Dremel?

Not much of an audiophile myself, so I cant really offer any insight. But I will say I'd like to see how it turns out. May a guide so your fellow bit-tech members can make their own or something similiar? Well good look to ya, I'll be looking for updates. :D

4. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I was thinking of using an amp like this (emailed the tech rep about this one. He doesn't recomend it for my needs) or something similar. The cheapest amp parts express recommends is this. I did alot of googling and ebay searching, but I was always coming up with amps that were way over powered and cost to much. Then I took a look at my 2.1 speakers.
    [​IMG]
    And, it came to me. :idea: I could use the subwoofer amp from a 2.1 speaker system to power the bass shaker. This is convenient for me because I'd like to replace my speakers. They sound good, but the woofer is unshielded and it interfers with my monitor from time to time. Plus, they don't look cool mext to my aluminum lian-li case (this is the kind of thinking that is going to bankrupt me :naughty: ). I'm 90% sure this will work, but we'll have to see.

EDIT: fixed pic

Last edited: 20 Feb 2004
  5. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

woah.

i need 2 of those. for my car. ive a nice 100w amp for that too.

[​IMG]

mount those under the two front seats... and that would be so amazing.
    im so doing this. i cant wait. i <3 you. so very much. mmmmm.

i have never seen anything like this and my car is going to kick ass because of it. thank you so much dude. so much. :eeek:

6. TMM

TMM Modder

i've got 2 of the AURA bass shaker cusions attached to my gaming chair. THEY RULE! :D the amp that comes with it is pretty good but a little underpowered and too much distortion

its simply subwoofers that create alot of movement then sound :thumb: im 99% sure it'll work for ya, aslong as the amp supplys enough power :rock:

7. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

yea, ive got a 100w RMS 2 channel amp for my car that i got for $50 from a friend, i know that this thing will be able to push these things, they are just going to rock the chairs in my car :rock: i cant wait to scare people when they sit down in my car =D

its going to be amazing.

but yea dude, as long as you can get wires to your chair and you have an amp that does about 20-50 watts to each one, you should be fine, most people hook up their computers to a home entertainment system now-adays, and you can just pop those on as two extra speakers (making sure you dont over power them) directly from your reciever. but, you can use the amp they supply. good luck with your gaming chair, i cant wait to outfit my car! WOOT WOOT! :thumb:

8. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Here is a short worklog I put together that was originally posted at Yoshi's Forum.

Worklog: Part 1 of 4

I'm going to modify a normal desk chair into a "gaming" chair as the diagram below shows. I originally got the idea for this from other DIY(do it yourself) bass shaker projects.

[​IMG]

This isn't a new idea. Intensor made gaming chairs starting in the late 90s, but they apparently went out of buisness. However, another company Battlechair has come up with there own version of gaming chair. There cheapest chair is $300+ shipping, which I think is a bit to pricy. There are also game mats that were meant for console systems, but can be hooked up to PCs just as easily. However, there construction doesn't make them ideal for desktop systems. Hopefully, when I 'm finished with my chair, it will be much be able to function as well as a Battlechair but for alot less money. It might not look as cool, but I'll try my best.

Here is my current setup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think that I can use the sub woofer amp from my current 2.1 speakers to power the bass shakers that I have purchased for $34 with shipping. I can't find any more info on the subwoofer amp other than it is 10W and it is driving an 8ohm 5" sub woofer. The bass shaker is 4ohms so hopefully that will increase the power closer to what the bass shaker wants at around 25W. I picked up a floor model chair on sale for $79 taxes included at officedepot.
    [​IMG]

For the new speakers, I'm moving the Logitech Z640 5.1 Speakers from my HTPC xbox to my PC. The HTPC xbox will be getting some Logitech Z680 soon so I can findly watch movies and play games with dolby digital suround sound. For the rear speakers on the chair, I think that I'll use some small car speaker measuring around 3" or less. If anyone has seen any good <=3" 4ohm 6W speakers let me know. I looking to purchase some soon. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount these speakers in the chair yet, but I foresee this as one of my main problems.

My first steps will be to move new speakers to PC, split the audio out, tear apart the 2.1 woofer enclosure, and test the subwoofer amp on a bass shaker.

Please feel free to make comments and suggestion.

It has begun! *mortal combat music plays*

9. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Worklog: Part 2 of 4

I split the audio as shown. Originally, I was splitting the front speakers out, but I found that the center/subwoofer speaker seemed to give me better quality. For some reason the orange and black color coloring is backward on my speaker connectors as the picture shows.

[​IMG]

I broke open the satellite wich contains the power button, volume control, audio line in, and right/left speaker amp.

[​IMG]

I broke open the woofer enclosure to get to the subwoofer amp. It has the inputs for power, satellite speaker line, and bass control.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the subwoofer amp ready for a test run. I temporarily soldered the sub woofer amp to the bass shaker. Put it on the floor, and used my foot to test it. It worked well. I played a couple of levels of Call of Duty. It was pretty cool feeling the recoil from my tommy gun. It seemed kind of weak, but that was to be expected with my wimpy amplifier. However, the amp was not secured and there might have been a damping affect from the carpet.

[​IMG]

I secured the bass shaker as shown, and gave the bass board a couple of layers of black spray paint just for looks. I also wired a female stereo connector to the bass shaker so the chair can be easily disconnected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tested it again on Call of Duty, and the vibration was noticeably stronger. To test the max output, I’d throw a grenade at my feet. With the volume and bass at max level, I get a vibration about as high as I would like to have on my hiny. I think this subwoofer amp will be perfect for my needs. :)

Next, I'm going to put the subwoofer amp in a project box, and I'm going to a couple local car audio shops to get some advice and/or supplies to custom mount speakers in the chair.

10. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Worklog: Part 3 of 4

I took apart one of my rear speakers as shown. It is 4 ohm, 6 watt speaker with a pretty big magnet on it.

[​IMG]

I took the speaker with me to a couple of local audio and electronics stores, but they weren't able to help me find a replacement that would be easy to install in to the chair. Actually, they didn't have any speakers that could replace my rear speakers. :( Looks like I'm going to have to figure out a way to install the speakers I have. At least, I'll be able to save some money. :)

I also got the subwoofer amp ready to install into the project box.

[​IMG]

Here is the subwoofer amp all snug and secure in the project box.

[​IMG]

Next, I will find a way to install the speakers.

11. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Worklog: Part 4 of 4

I made an acrylic ring for a cover for the speaker which was mounted directly to the speaker with two bolts. Together these would be placed inside the PVC connector pipe and glued together with plastic epoxy. The PVC would then fit inside the chair and held in place by the foam.

[​IMG]

I cannibalized the covers of the previous rear speakers to get the material for my speaker covers.

[​IMG]

I soldered the speakers back together and got ready to make the speaker covers.

[​IMG]

Here is what the speaker covers looked like front and back.

[​IMG]

Here is the everything glued together.

[​IMG]

The final result.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't be more pleased with how this worked out. It sounds and feels great. :D I estimate my budget at $120 US dollars. If you really want a more immersive gaming experience for a reasonable price, I highly recommend this mod.

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

That is one great mod! So economical!

13. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

MAN......... :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    are you gonna sell it :D :D

14. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

How do you deal with the speaker wires?

15. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Great work! I once had similar ideas to this. You put to work what I was thinking of doing at one time.

I would also like to ask, how do deal with speaker wires?

16. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

To make it easy to disconnect the speaker wires from the chair, I used stereo type connectors near the seat of the chair. You can see the one for the bass shaker in the picture where it is mounted. Additionally, the wires going to the chair are about 6' (1.8m) long and are connected to the 5.1 speaker subwoofer and the bass shaker subwoofer at the base of my desk. This provides plenty of length if the speakers start to get tangled.

17. Megadoomer

Megadoomer What's a Dremel?

now all you have to do is mod your chair so your joystick for your flight sim. sits on there and make a dashboard...a friend of mine goes to the extreem when it comes to flight sims. personally i can only fly up as high as you can go then plummet as fast as you can into the ground so many times...

Nice work on the chair

18. Ardentfrost

Ardentfrost What's a Dremel?

Damn, I have those exact speakers. Got em real cheap I think :) I even have the audio splitter :hip:

Awesome mod dude

19. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

even if you didnt use the bass haker the two speakers are VERY nicly installed and look/should sound good but the bass shaker just adds to it.. very nice indeed

20. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

No, I meant how do you not run over the wires.