1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gears of War 3 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 Sep 2011.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I am _SO_ getting this adn F1 2011 as soon as they hit the shelves.

While I have yet to experience another game that LAGGED (like - network lag) on the same console in split-screen co-op mode (thanks, GOW2), this looks to bring a close to GOW as a trilogy, and looks o be exactly what the doctor ordered for my gaming needs right now.

2. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

These same guys ruined the PC UT series so screw this! Can't wait 'til next week BF 3 beta.

3. veato

veato I should be working

As someone else rightly pointed out the turret is made from reclaimed lancer rifles. Good going on making yourself sound like an elitist PC idiot though.

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I have a question for you Joe; have they fixed the atrocious host-side hit detection? I only played a couple of hours of both the first games online because of this. Shotguns were just a joke, unless you were host, in which case it became the opposite kind of joke. Lancers were useless on running targets (especially after playing the campaign so extensively), and pretty much everything relying on reaction times was severely skewed in the favour of the host. And this was in the best case scenarios where there was actually no lag and the game was really quite playable otherwise.

I remember hearing about them fixing it for number 2, but that didn't quite work out. So have they full on ditched it now in favour of a better method, or have they actually fixed it, or is it still there?

5. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

'ho well, each to their own and all that.

6. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Hi Skiddywinks,

I've had two nights playing the Multiplayer now, and having been very frustrated by the first two games' MP I can tell you it's not the case. The game uses dedicated servers so there's no lag issue or host advantage. The lancer has also been improved IMO, making it easier to kill people with it.

I'm really enjoying it, which is a plus because I assumed the MP would be no good after the first two games (I agree with you that Gears 2 MP was no good). It feels like the BETA has made a whole load of difference to the outcome of the final product.

The graphics are nice, it's very smooth (seems like a rock solid 30fps like the first two games), and it generally just feels like more of the same but really polished. You should give it a try.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Sweet, thank you very much!

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

75% = about 7.5/10 in relative terms.

I wonder if you think this game is better than the second?

Because the seconds biggest failure was the connection issues with multi-player.

Gears 2 scored 8/10 where as this looks like it has done worse? I wonder if that's reflective of the game not being as good or simply the concept being more dated now?

9. Raijin

Raijin What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with you on this, I played GOW 1 for the first time about a month ago due to a friends recommendation, so I borrowed it from him and played for about 2 hours. By the first 30 minutes I hated the control system, but I figured you know, push forward, see if the story gets better. The next day I handed the game back to my friend and I haven't played it since. Hated the control system and the aiming system, dunno if it's cause I'm used to twitch-based shooting but both systems just seemed extremely slugish to me.

Tags: Add Tags