1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte announces AM3+ 'Black Socket' motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Apr 2011.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It'll be good for competition, but I'm not sure how much average Joe is going to go for AMD stuff to be perfectly honest. If AMD make a proper go of this Bulldozer stuff, they might want to raise their game a little.

2. Scarlet0pimp

Scarlet0pimp What's a Dremel?

i'm really looking forward to these chips, but still seems so far away, and will probably be smoked by Intel anyway.
    I have a soft spot for AMD though since my original A64 3200 was so good.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Whatever the performance AMD offer better value for money?

Biggest pile of tosh I've heard for a long time. They clearly DONT otherwise theconsumer would have put the company in a huge profit situation something that hasn't happened without the assistance on ATi for a very long time.

Why do hardcore fans of AMD still cling on to that statement by their finger tips when it clearly isn't the case and hasn't been for a long time.

A larger than normal number of posts here are clearly counting Chickens before they've hatched. This is just the release of a board, with absolutely no factual data on actual performance on said board or the compatible CPU.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

its because intel doesn't tend to lower their prices almost ever, and amd is less popular so the only way for them to seem like the better choice for the less informed is to keep their prices lower even if they have a better product. even today, socket 478 P4s are still terribly overpriced. you can get modern CPUs for a lower price with more than twice the performance, half the power consumption, and many new features.

i'm not sure where you're getting the idea where lower prices aren't profitable. having a lower price + better performance = everyone wants it. amd is currently profiting even though their current stuff is relatively dirt cheap and is somewhat unpopular. if they make something better than intel, everyone will want it and they'll be making huge money with the same low prices while intel is like "mar mar mar i invented x86, people trust me because of my name and i'm not going to lower my prices".

5. Snips

I'm sorry but how can the product be value for money whatever the performance? If the product is cheap but in comparison it's a poor performer then how is that value for money? For the product to be value for money it has to perform well against the competition or have certain added value to paying the extra premium if needed. Unfortunately, AMD have not done that for many years now even with trying to reduce the price.

"They clearly DONT otherwise the consumer would have put the company in a huge profit situation something that hasn't happened without the assistance on ATi for a very long time."

If the product was right, they would have sold more, which would lead to increased turnoever, which (if they do things right) would lead to profits and not the monumental losses.

6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

i agree with snips, the Core i7-990X is very, very poor value.

7. Snips

Unless in all but the most heavily multi-threaded tasks.

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

But with the increased IPC of sandybridge make up for the extra 2cores (4threads) of the 990 not to mention you could build another decent rig for the price of the processor alone.

9. Snips

True, unless in all but the most heavily multi-threaded tasks

10. mr42_arnold

mr42_arnold What's a Dremel?

wow! bulldozer is here... im AMD fanatic user, the more heat coming from the board, the better AMD perform.... what is different between cold and heat.... cold is cold, and heat is heat.... its only in the mind of the user to avoid more heatsink from the CPU....but AMD perform well from the heat.... its design to perform well from the heat... congrats to the maker of AMD....

Tags: Add Tags