1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX570 2.5 GB For SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 1 Sep 2012.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi guys,

Just under a year ago I bought myself a GTX 570 2.5GB.

Have had a lot of fun with it over the last year or so and it works like a charm. I haven't yet overclocked it as I haven't had the need. I game at 1920x1080 at the highest settings always. Now I have been keeping an eye on the market for a second 2.5Gb card to setup SLI. My system is in a great position to get an overclock to match current gen rigs with ease. I don't yet need to do so but I am thinking about it for early next year.

However, I am also acutely aware the GPU market is moving on quickly and getting hold of a new GTX 570 from the market without paying a premium for low stock may soon become difficult. Hence, my first question is whether we have any info about Nvidia stopping production of GTX570 cards in the near future? Should I think about buying my second card soon or am I ok to wait a few months, maybe until the new year?

Secondly, if I was to get a second, I am correct in the thinking I can add any brand card to my current POV GTX 570, and when in SLI the speed will be limited to the slowest card....I am happy to overclock one or the other to match speeds. At present EVGA 2.5GB cards are a LOT cheaper than POV, though they are faster and have a far better passive cooler on the POV.

Thanks all in advance! :thumb:

2. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

You are correct that you can mix and match them - I have two 570's in SLI (not the 2.5 Gb version though) from different brands, it works fine.

As for getting hold of them, given that the 6xx series have been out a while I would certainly assume nVidia already stopped production of the older series cards, though this is just based on logical assumption and not any actual data I admit!

3. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

All the 5xx cards are going to be "retired" soon, if they haven't, effectively, already. That's not going to be a big problem for a bit, so you'll be able to get your second card, for SLi. You do need consider what happens when one of those two "dies". Will you get a replacement then?
    If you are not intending to go to a 3 monitor set-up, imminently, it may be worth considering, at least, Kepler, as an upgrade route.